Restore my lawn

Sponsored Links
Ferrous Iron Sulphate but in my opinion it's still too early in the year to use it.

I apply it anywhere from mid-April to early May when the lawn starts its first growth spurt of the year.

Thanks guys. I brought a lawn spreader in the anticipation that I will need it for this task but the suggested product requires mixing with water. Will read the details but interested to hear if there are any other recommendations.

Thanks guys. I brought a lawn spreader in the anticipation that I will need it for this task but the suggested product requires mixing with water. Will read the details but interested to hear if there are any other recommendations.

You mix it with water -- I always use warm water as it helps dissolve the solution better. The benefits are that it goes on wet and soaks into the soil rather than sitting dry on the top. It's even better if you can do it in the day before rain is forecast as the rain helps it get to work. I mix 4g per litre of water and find this turns moss brown and greens the lawn nicely (noticeable within a week). Avoid walking on the lawn for 7 days after applying.

The feed spreader you bought will still be useful. In the summer I apply the dry Evergreen 4-in-1 powder just to keep the lawn fed nicely -- the box has instructions for which setting to apply on the spreader. Again, best to do it before rain but if not possible watering the lawn/using a sprinkler is good.

Sponsored Links
That's really helpful @cwhaley.
Itching to get this done but perhaps I should hold off for a couple more weeks?

I would wait yes. I was really keen to do mine when I bought my house as it was full of moss and weeds, but patience prevailed and over a couple of seasons it grew strong and I get nice stripes with the roller mower.

You could do it now, but you'd get better results when it's a little warmer and the danger of frost has passed. Doing it when the grass is fairly dormant means anything put down won't really get taken up -- put it down when it's growing so the iron gets taken up. When you do put it down I'd recommend a sprinkle bar (watering can attachment) or a sprayer.

In preparation for this treatment, can I check that sixths is the correct product please:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Premium-Su...Iron+Sulphate&qid=1554048268&s=gateway&sr=8-6

There are a few versions of this.

Essentially it's just a chemical compound with a brand name, although incidentally that's the same brand as I use -- you'll be fine if you've gone ahead and bought that.

I also use the Evergreen 4-in-1 weed and feed over the summer months (every 6 weeks or so) as it keeps weeds down and gives it a light feed (as the nitrogen content is low). Applied with a spread like the on you have bought is best.

Post some pics later in the year.

Update as promised: I used the Evergreen 4-in-1 and here are the pictures from the start and 7 days later. I think it will continue to improve over the next few days or I've missed a match down the middle perhaps?

I am impressed with the results but don't have any comparison. Would welcome your views on the results. Also, am I okay to mow this now?

Attachments

• GREEN.png
    GREEN.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 95
Looks much greener, even after 7 days that's good improvement and more rapid progress than on mine. Well done for doing this and not cheating with the plastic grass that everyone seems to go for. You can reapply in another 6-8 weeks and then your next feed would be just before the start of Autumn.

I would leave it another few days or so before cutting. 7 days is the minimum. When you do cut it, don't take more than 1/3 of the overall length off otherwise you'll shock the grass and harm it -- better to gradually bring the length down. Regular short cuts promote new grass growth too.

Update: I haven’t lawn a proper cut today and was very happy with the results. Thought I’d share and take the opportunity to thank everyone for their advice again.

Secondly, should I be using aftercut or any other additive to maintain/improve this?

Attachments

• A78C10DF-62FD-4B58-88DA-064323E161B5.jpeg
    A78C10DF-62FD-4B58-88DA-064323E161B5.jpeg
    454.7 KB · Views: 74
Looks fantastic -- a real testament to treating a lawn properly. Far, far better than the plastic stuff people are coating our land with.

Aftercut is good. Usually you apply a treatment in early April and then a second in mid-May at the earliest. After that the next one would be in Autumn to keep it protected over the Winter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back