RESTORING A NATURAL WOOD KITCHEN WORKTOP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My kitchen worktop is in need of some TLC!

It was originally quite a nice beech/birch (can't remember exactly which) worktop purchased from IKEA.

However, it has not been looked after as it should, and has several dark stains which I think have been caused from either a hot pan being placed directly on, or possibly caused by water staining.

What is the best course of action to remedy this? (apart from a new worktop!) Do I need to sand the whole worktop down and treat ?

I've heard about 'Diamondglaze'. Is this worth doing once the worktop has been restored, and is it costly ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
You'll need to sand off the damaged layer, possibly using a belt sander, then a random orbital, probably eventually hand sand to get it really smooth. Then if the consensus on these forms is to be followed, you need to oil it generously with several coats of pureTung oil :) :) pure Tung oil is quite expensive.

Eddie M said:
Tung oil is quite expensive.
I didn't think it was, I was surpised how far 1 litre of tung oil cut with 50% white spirit. I have done 4 coats on two bay windows cost under a tenner ! Now try doing that with paint ;)

masona said:
Eddie M said:
Tung oil is quite expensive.
I didn't think it was, I was surpised how far 1 litre of tung oil cut with 50% white spirit. I have done 4 coats on two bay windows cost under a tenner ! Now try doing that with paint ;)

Would you wish to cut it with white spirit, for use on a food prep surface? Also depends on how thirsty the wood is, but point taken, it's not THAT expensive.

Sponsored Links
Eddie M said:
Would you wish to cut it with white spirit, for use on a food prep surface?
I can't answer that one :!: From what I understand the tung oil cannot go onto wood 100% because it will not penetrate into wood to start with. I maybe wrong though, unless the white spirit dried out????

The only information I've found for kitchen wood worktop, "Always use cutting boards to chop food. Do not cut directly on the tung oil worktop".

Good point though.

I've just rang the Liberon tung oil department and they said to use white spirit ! Oh well, I'm still learning :!: Thanks for pointing it out.

masona said:
I've just rang the Liberon tung oil department and they said to use white spirit ! Oh well, I'm still learning :!: Thanks for pointing it out.

They said to use or Not to use :?:

Yes, mix with white spirit, I suppose the white spirit dried out in time. Oilman's might know more about this.

the best stuff I have found for kitchen worktops is Junkers rustic oil its not particularly cheap but sets beautifully and is hard wearing dilute with white spirit for the first coat only de-nib with the finest wet and dry between coats 4-5 should do it

I'm sure you guys are right, but white spirit on a food prep surface, I don't fancy that !

Ikea can supply a natural mineral oil called BEHANDLA or something like that. It must be safe for food prep as a friend of mine installed the birch worktops and in the instructions it advised using said oil every couple of months or so after initial 4 or 5 coats

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back