Restoring bricked up windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey.

At the side of our house we have a large window frame which has been bricked up and a smaller window has been put in to replace it. I wanted to remove the bricks and put in place the original windows.

My only constraint is my lease which says I cannot do anything which is structural. From the picture would you have any thoughts on whether the bricks inside the frame are structural.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 02786F10-6DD6-4A07-A43F-118E091706DC.jpeg
    02786F10-6DD6-4A07-A43F-118E091706DC.jpeg
    108.5 KB · Views: 211
Sponsored Links
Hey Nakajo. Yes it is, I have got planning permission from the council though.

It is quite possible that the window originally had a timber lintel. It is also quite possible this was removed when the window was bricked up. Only opening up and investigating will give the answer. If by luck there is still a solid and serviceable lintel above the bricked up area, then the bricks are not structural.

Arguably reinstating an old lintel that should be there is a "repair" and not new structural work, but only you can decide how close to that wind you would want to go.

Sponsored Links
In context of a lease, the external walls are structural

Of course, but the house was designed and built with a window opening, therefore reinstating an original window opening that is fundamentally still there, just blocked up, is arguably not structural. The question is how likely is it that the lease holder will have an issue with the work.

Of course, but the house was designed and built with a window opening, therefore reinstating an original window opening that is fundamentally still there, just blocked up, is arguably not structural. The question is how likely is it that the lease holder will have an issue with the work.
Don't confuse structural work in the physical sense with work on the structure in context of lease terms.

The landlord is responsible for the structure, so would not want leaseholders messing with it willy nilly.

What did the Landlord say when contacted in relation to Certificate B?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back