uPVC windows in a conservation area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My sister has recently converted an old barn in a conservation area. The original building consisted of three single brick walls, tiled roof and large sliding wooden doors across the whole frontage.

Details of materials were submitted to meet a compliance condition and described by architect as 'to match existing'. Reused bricks and tiles were used to build new frontage and dormers in roof.

The building work has then completed.

Now the council are objecting to the windows as somebody called them to point out that they are uPVC (it is not at all obvious). They are not cheap white ones, but high end oak effect frames.

It seems there was a loophole. The issue of the materials for the windows never came up as there were previously no existing windows with which to match.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the situation. Is it worth fighting and what steps should be taken?

Sponsored Links
Why did your architect state 'to match existing' if there were none existing? On planning forms it is usually made abundantly clear as in they ask you what materials the existing doors are made from and what the new are made from, they say the same for the windows. What did your forms say? If it is inferred that the windows are to match the existing door then clearly they do not, they are not timber but plastic (with a timber finish or otherwise). Someone, your sister or the architect (or both) has been very 'naive', UPVC is always frowned upon in barn conversions.

Thanks freddy. Yes there probably was some naivety on my sister's part, but there is a precedent set in near by buildings. Perhaps 'barn' paints the wrong picture - I should have said outbuilding as edge of main road.

I am assuming architect said to matching based on the letter approving Compliance with Conditions which states:

2 Details of materials - to match existing
Received by the Planning Authority on 09 March 2009. Compliance with condition 2 in so far as submission and approval of details

The condition of permission is refers to stated:

2 )Before development commences samples of all external facing and roofing materials shall have been submitted to and approved in writing by the Planning Authority.
Reason To ensure that the materials used in the construction of the approved development harmonise with the surroundings

Unfortunately the architect is no longer contactable. Is there any way I can find out what he wrote on the forms and what would they be called?

Many thanks.[/i]

Surely your sister has a copy of the forms???? Anyhoo, if not, then a copy of the full application should be available online on your councils website, somewhere under planning there'll be an online register listing every planning application and the forms should be available to look at there.

Sponsored Links
Well this kind of brings me back to the original point. We have been through all of the documents that we have and also examined all of those attached to the application on the council's website and nowhere is there any mention of the actual type of windows that would be installed only that they would be new and in the committee report:

The ground floor (gf) fenestration should match / balance. It would be preferable to have one window either side of the entrance door; formed of three casements. (Same proportions to that proposed on the larger gf window, with the removal of one casement).[/i]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back