Restoring iron railings; primer+paint or Hammerite(etc) directly on metal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again.

I've not seen a good answer to this question online. Most of the DIY videos on restoring iron railings suggest removing the paint and rust, applying a primer and only after that a couple of top coats. But for small tasks over the years I've been using Hammerite directly on the metal with no problems l so I'm wondering if that's a wise route to take and save me some time. I tried to find a comparison (especially regarding longevity) but not seen much.

What are your experiences or recommendations? I'm happy to go the extra mile with primer if it means I'll not need to redo the job again in the next 10 years; there's about 20 meters of railings to refurb!!

Many thanks
Jof

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Well, 8 years I suppose will have to do :) Either way if I can avoid completely re-doing it every 5 that would be nice.

In terms of primer versus direct-to-rust how do you rate the relative performance?

Sandblasting is the best way to prepare, but I appreciate this may not be practical.

Be sure the remove as much rust as you can, and sand the surface including old paint.

Two coats of Hammerite will ensure a longer lasting job - 4 hours minimum between coats. I prefer to get the second coat within 24 hours, to ensure it sticks, but that's just me.

Sponsored Links
That's good advice, thanks. Sandblasting would but great, but as a substitute I was thinking of hitting most of it with an angle grinder with a cup brush and the details with files and a steel brush.

I have a vague feeling I read somewhere that Hammerite shouldn't be applied directly to bare metal though. Or was that someone being overly cautious?

Yep, I remember someone saying shiny bare metal needs a primer first.

I had assumed this ironwork would be mostly rust!

If you can get back a lot of clean bare metal, then it would make sense to use an appropriate primer for iron on the clean bits yes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back