Restoring Old Floorboards - Advice Needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi...

We recently pulled up an old carpet in our bedroom and revealed some floorboards in average condition (not being an expert, I'm guessing here). The problem is that some of the floorboards don't actually meet the wall of the room at the base of the skirting board - they are out about 1/2 an inch - and that's most of them. I am wondering what to do about this...is it worth sanding and revarnishing or would it be best to just cover up again with new carpet? Is this where we call a professional? Other than that problem the boards seem to be in good order and I think would respond well to sanding and re-varnishing.

Can anyone offer advice please?

Thanks
Sara :?: :confused: :?:

Sponsored Links
You could conceal a gap between the floor and the skirting using quadrant beading (quarter-round wood).

However, sanding and sealing bare boards has lots of disadvantages: draughts through the cracks; noise (and for your neighbours, unless you're in a detached house). I'd hoped the craze for doing this would have passed by now.

I'd carpet it. No need to carpet under the bed if it's not going to be moved around: potential for saving money, especially if it's a large bed.

You could conceal a gap between the floor and the skirting using quadrant beading (quarter-round wood).

However, sanding and sealing bare boards has lots of disadvantages: draughts through the cracks; noise (and for your neighbours, unless you're in a detached house). I'd hoped the craze for doing this would have passed by now.

I'd carpet it. No need to carpet under the bed if it's not going to be moved around: potential for saving money, especially if it's a large bed.

Am i missing something, but dont you but carpet buy the width of the roll? I.e if your room is 13 x 13 youd have to buy 13ft of carpet? no matter how big the bed is? Whats the point in capeting if you leave drafty floorboards?

We don't know if the floorboards are draughty. If they are, leaving them uncarpeted might not be a great idea.

Not all carpet is bought off the roll. If you're using carpet tiles, you can save on carpeting a bedroom by carpeting the parts that show.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much. There are largeish gaps between the boards and it is very echoey in there with them up. Sounds like a church!

Thanks again. Carpet might be the best idea after all.

You could take up the boards, flip them to reveal decent surface and relay without gaps, then varnish.

I didn't think of that at all.

Can you do this with a minimim of DIY knowhow???

We are thinking of painting them (oh oh)

Thanks

Best to remove skirting to flip boards, some may need cutting if they travel under partition walls, mainly elbow grease and common sense required and a spare board to fill in the gap created by shuffling them all along.Make sure you know when pipes and wiring sits when relaying.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back