Restoring Wooden floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We just bought our house and one of the first things we want to do is to remove the carpet and restore the wooden floor underneath which looks to be in quite a good condition. I am just wondering about which is the normal separation between planks that we need to have in order to have the wooden floor exposed. At the moment from what I have seen after lifting a few bits of the carpet there is about 1 to 1.5mm between planks which seems to be a lot.
Any recomendations?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

We just bought our house and one of the first things we want to do is to remove the carpet and restore the wooden floor underneath which looks to be in quite a good condition. I am just wondering about which is the normal separation between planks that we need to have in order to have the wooden floor exposed. At the moment from what I have seen after lifting a few bits of the carpet there is about 1 to 1.5mm between planks which seems to be a lot.
Any recomendations?

normal gap should be zero

they should be fixed tight together
off course you cant clamp tight enough all the time to stop gaps appearing

So what is the normal process? shall I take them all off and put them back toghether closing down the gaps?in this case what happen with the dilatation?

Sponsored Links
Never seen floorboards laid without gaps , yours should be fine with such small gaps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back