Restricting cold flow to mixer tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just installed a mixer tap onto our bathroom sink.

The tap is the one in the picture below:

0000003657768_001c_v001_zp

The design of the tap is such that the water flows out of an open top chute on the tap and then waterfalls off the end of the chute. Looks great and works fine with the gravity hot water but there is too much flow when the mains pressure cold tap is opened fully and it causes a lot of splashing of water out of the basin.

I could stop the splashing just by not opening the tap all the way, but you can guarantee that visitors and guest won't know to do that so i want to limit the flow to prevent the splashing.

Any suggestions as to what i could do? The pipes are buried in the wall and i can't get access to them below the floor but there is a copper stub sitcking out of the wall that is attached to a flexi to connect the codl feed to the tap. Could i insert a service valve and partially open that to control the flow or is there such a thing as a flow restrictor i could fit?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Service valves are ball valves and are noisy if not fully open particularly is the pressure is high so partially closing a service valve will make it noisy which you will hate but these...

http://www.heatandplumb.com/acatalog/Flow_Regulator_Ball_Valve.html

...may do the job properly. I've not tried them but they were recommended to me to reduce flow and hence noise but haven't got round to fitting them yet!

You can get a pressure-reducing valve. It will cost you at least £30

Caleffi is a good brand.

I suggest you get one with a guauge on it so you can adjust it and make a note of what you need.

As a guide, 1bar of pressure is caused by about ten metres of head; so if your water tank is 2 metres above the tap, the hot water will be about 0.2bar. Adjust the cold to be about the same pressure as the hot, and the mixer will not be too bad.

you could use a flow restricter washer, 8 l/p/m should do.

Sponsored Links
You can get a pressure-reducing valve. It will cost you at least £30

Caleffi is a good brand.

I suggest you get one with a guauge on it so you can adjust it and make a note of what you need.

As a guide, 1bar of pressure is caused by about ten metres of head; so if your water tank is 2 metres above the tap, the hot water will be about 0.2bar. Adjust the cold to be about the same pressure as the hot, and the mixer will not be too bad.

that would be the ideal solution but unfortunately space is very limited and i don't think i'll be able to fit one behind the sink. I also can't access the feed pipe without hacking the plaster out, lifting the tiled floor. or making a hole in the ceiling below.

Service valves are ball valves and are noisy if not fully open particularly is the pressure is high so partially closing a service valve will make it noisy which you will hate but these...

...may do the job properly. I've not tried them but they were recommended to me to reduce flow and hence noise but haven't got round to fitting them yet!

that looks interesting.

Wonder how quiet it actually is.

The tap itself is very noisy when you use the tap to control the flow so it would be nice to reduce the overall level of noise.

that looks interesting.

Wonder how quiet it actually is.

The tap itself is very noisy when you use the tap to control the flow so it would be nice to reduce the overall level of noise.

Made me look too, hideously expensive but I suppose cheaper than a PRV...wonder how different they are inside from standard full-bore ballofixs

flow regulator ball valves £5.99 - again, keep meaning to try them but never quite got round to ordering some.

Further investigation shows that flow isn't controlled by the ball valve but a restrictor that you fit into the valve. The restricters are only 89p each so i've ordered 4,6,&8 Litres per minute restrictors and so that i can experiment and see what works.

I'll report back when fitted and let you all know how it performs.

Details of the valve and restrictors i've ordered about 3/4 down this page

http://www.bes.co.uk/products/099.asp

One of the less welcome aspects of belonging to a common market is the flood of products, which are built to a different standard and for different circumstances.

I used flow regulators from BES with a 6 l.min-1 restrictor works like a charm.

I had a similar problem from another b&q special...
good luck

As a flexi was mentioned, merely squeezing the hose with a simple clamp is a way to reduce the flow rate.

Another is to partially block the inside of the pipe with a bit of plastic etc.

Tony

Fitted the restrictor last night.

With the 4L/Min restrictor fitted the problem has completely gone. No noise and the flow is turned down accordingly.

Seeing as it also a ball valve its very easy to change the restrictors. An excellent product.

Further investigation shows that flow isn't controlled by the ball valve but a restrictor that you fit into the valve. The restricters are only 89p each so i've ordered 4,6,&8 Litres per minute restrictors and so that i can experiment and see what works.

I'll report back when fitted and let you all know how it performs.

Details of the valve and restrictors i've ordered about 3/4 down this page

http://www.bes.co.uk/products/099.asp[/QUOTE]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back