Resurrecting a Citroen Saxo VTR garage find after 10 years!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Need a little help and advice!

As above, I have aquired a Citroen Saxo VTR (2002) that has been garaged and not started in over 10 years.

So far, I have replaced the battery, negative battery cable as it was corroded, replaced the starter motor, oil and spark plug change, replaced all fuses.

The dashboard lights up, aircon works, lights etc work as does the radio.

When turning the ignition to the second point, I get a series of rapid clicking… this is before turning the key all the way to start the car (of which it obviously doesn’t)…

So I’m seeking advice as to what could be the next port of call to look at - alternator would be the logical step, but I’m trying not to spend hundreds repairing something that may be a lost cause, otherwise I’d just buy a new alternator too and replace that as well.

Suggestions?

Sponsored Links
The alternator won’t give you those problems with a new, unused battery. Have you tried turning the engine over by hand?

Alternators don’t click, put your hand on the fuse box and see if the noise is from there.
Electric windows and hazard flasher unit are also possible causes.
John

The alternator won’t give you those problems with a new, unused battery. Have you tried turning the engine over by hand?

Good to know, thank you. Most suggestions online for a vehicle not starting suggest battery, battery terminals, starter motor or alternator… so was just following the train of what is typically suggested. I’m no mechanic as you might have guessed.

I haven’t, but will give that a go tomorrow - I’m assuming it could well have seized after being stood for 10+ years.

Alternators don’t click, put your hand on the fuse box and see if the noise is from there.
Electric windows and hazard flasher unit are also possible causes.
John

Thanks for the advice. I’ve done the above and the rapid clicking appears to be from the ECU…

Sponsored Links
ECU’s do tend to squeal or make other noises after switching the ignition off......this should stop after a minute or so.
John
P.S Can the engine actually be turned over? This should have been an initial check before going any further.
A spanner on the crankshaft nut, or maybe rocking the car in gear will do.
John

Try a tow start if possible

Not possible unfortunately, the vehicle is garaged.

ECU’s do tend to squeal or make other noises after switching the ignition off......this should stop after a minute or so.
John
P.S Can the engine actually be turned over? This should have been an initial check before going any further.
A spanner on the crankshaft nut, or maybe rocking the car in gear will do.
John

The rapid clicking occurs when turning the key twice, before the full turn to attempt to start the vehicle.

I’m unsure. I’ll give this a go tomorrow, thank you. Yes, point taken!

Spanner on the crankshaft nut, Roger that! Also a good idea, quite limited for space around the car inside the garage but will certainly give it a go!

Thanks again.

Given that it's a non runner, I think maybe only the light comes on.

Sorry, let me be more specific, the blowers turn on and provide increases of air flow at the 1, 2 and 3 setting… haven’t specifically waited long enough and checked to see if the air gets cold, that’s the least of my worries at the moment haha.

Yes, sadly a non-runner currently. Sad because it was a perfectly good car prior to being retired from action a decade ago! Just hoping to bring it back to life if possible…

Good luck with it, I’ve always rated the Saxo.
If the engine is free, it will run again!
Do check that the rear suspension moves though, seized axles aren’t unknown.
John

Update:

Managed to manually turn the engine… so that’s a good sign, right?

Will be lowering the car down and trying the rock in gear next!

Following that, what’s next?! Haha!

Last edited:
If the engine turns with a spanner there is no need to rock the engine.

Is battery fully charged? Use jump leads from another source, see what that does.

Check all connections to starter motor.

Do you have a voltmeter ?

If the engine turns with a spanner there is no need to rock the engine.

Is battery fully charged? Use jump leads from another source, see what that does.

Check all connections to starter motor.

Do you have a voltmeter ?

Yes, battery is brand new. Due to the positioning of the car in the garage and no jump pack, the only option is the try boosting from another fully charged battery, but that’s to no avail.

Starter motor has been replaced and all connections fine.

No voltmeter, but to be fair they’re only £10-£15 from Amazon, what’re you thinking?

Created a video to share the current state:

So as before, the lights, hazards, wipers, electric windows, AC blowers etc all work as they should!

I just can’t get the car to start with the final turn of the key and instead am greeted with the rapid clicking which sounds like it’s coming from the ECU area…

haven’t specifically waited long enough and checked to see if the air gets cold
It won't if the engine isn't running

Find the source of this clicking noise with the key turned to position 2 and upload a pic of the component

Edit; Note that I'm now slightly confused as to what position you're turning the key. Typically cars have 3 positions in order:
Position 1: minor accessories such as the radio will activate
Position 2: the dash lights up/comes alive, engine lights, maybe self test indications, most accessories like wipers etc will work, the engine would run if bump started
Position 3: a spring loaded position that activates the starter motor while you overcome the spring, and returns to position 2 when your hand stops turning the key

What position(my numbering above - if your car has no position 1 and goes straight to position 2, then say "position 2") do you hear the clicking in?

Are you certain the battery is fully charged and the connections at battery and body/starter are good?

Once the source of the clicking is isolated and resolved, the next step i'd look at if the key to position 3 doesn't activate the starter would be to use a jumper wire from battery positive to starter solenoid activator terminal to see if the starter will turn the engine over and fire it up

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back