Kia Clarus Starter Motor help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Kia Clarus and suspect I have a starter-motor problem. Starter has been "lazy" for awhile and now when I turn ignition I get nothing at all, not even a click although the battery is good/charged and the dashboard lights all show brightly.

Udate:

I just rolled the car back a couple of feet, turned the ignition and..........it started.

Drove it for around a mile, then parked it.

Turned ignition key again and........Nothing, not even a click.

Seems I may indeed have isolated it to a sticking or otherwise faulty starter, unless someone can advise me to the contrary.

Assuming I’ve diagnosed it correctly, could someone point me in the direction of a replacement please (second-hand is fine, so long as it works, as the car is 15 years old and I can't afford to spend too much).

Also, where could I get a service manual or guide to replacing a Clarus (year 2000) starter-motor, please? I have searched the Web but can't find a manual for this model.

I don’t even know where I would find the starter, under the bonnet!

Thanks again for reading and for any advice available.

Any help gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
The rolling back check that you have just done is really used to disengage the older inertia starters so things may be coincidental here.
You need to identify the starter first - YouTube maybe - and then check the wires to it for corrosion, slackness or whatever.....we can show you how to test with a multimeter if you have one.
The wires you are looking for are: one thick one direct to the battery, and one thin one, from the ignition switch. At this stage, the thin one is the issue.
John :)

The rolling back check that you have just done is really used to disengage the older inertia starters so things may be coincidental here.
You need to identify the starter first - YouTube maybe - and then check the wires to it for corrosion, slackness or whatever.....we can show you how to test with a multimeter if you have one.
The wires you are looking for are: one thick one direct to the battery, and one thin one, from the ignition switch. At this stage, the thin one is the issue.
John :)

Thanks for the advice. I've trawled through youtube and google without success (seems it was not a very popular model). Have just located a Haynes Manual, though @ £23 which seems reasonable.

Will definitely follow your advice before spending on a replacement Starter Motor so, thanks again. :)

Sponsored Links
Connections are the first thing to check especially at the battery end, remove them and check you have good clean metal to metal contact and they are nice and tight. Check you have the radio code before doing this.

Back