Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am having a problem with my car

Citroen Saxo Desire 1.1
Petrol engine
Hatchback
2003 53,000 miles on the clock

When I turn a corner to the left at a slow speed 5 - 20 mph I occasionally hear a kind of crunching / grinding noise which sounds like it is coming from the front right hand side (driver side).

Now I had a problem with the CV joint gaitor 2 years ago and its definitely not the same noise I had then. That was a clunking / knocking noise and this is definitely more of a one off crunch or knock.

In the last two years I have had new CV joint, brakes, calipers and pads and new tyres. (The car is 7 years old and otherwise doing well.) I also had the two back sections of my exhaust replaced about 2 months ago when the back box fell off due to excessive corrosion.

Looking online something was mentioned about steering linkage and it could be that it needs lubricating or replacing? Does this sound right? (Only I'm a young blonde girl and I know when I go into a garage it could be tempting for them to take me for a ride, so to speak, and I reckon it has happened before. So I would like to go in saying what I think it is and hopefully avoid being completely taken to the cleaners!)

Any advice on what it might be (and if you can, an indication of likely repair costs i.e. more or less than £100) would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much! :)
Laura

Sponsored Links
Hi Laura

It could be a track rod end ball joint or a rubber bush in the suspension, you really need someone to look at and listen to it.

Peter

Just a couple of things to add here...these cars have a wonderfully simple suspension, but they are prone to noisy power steering pump motors (which are electric) and broken front springs....as Peter recommends, have the car jacked up and looked at thoroughly.
Were both CV joints replaced? If the boots split, water and grit get in immediately, and the joint life is massively reduced.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Back