retiling shower - skimmed boards to bare board transition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i'm moderate DIYer, more tools than knowledge ...
our 2nd shower was leaking to downstairs so after fannying around a bit noticed grout was cracking on lower course of tiles ( 40x30 5mm ceramic ).
off they came to reveal dot'n'dab onto unsealed skimmed 9.5mm board, grouted corners, the works :p
took off door, tiles to 90cm height and refixed board with 200mm noggins and foam support - happy there and ready to tank with mapei kit.
question : old boards are 2mm skim plus 3mm adhesive so will need that extra 2mm on the new bare boards.
I'm not keen on skimming so can i just go up a trowel to 10mm which should compress to the 6mm total thickness ? Assume the Mapei has nominal thickness ( actually seems to be 1-2mm so maybe no change needed )

Sponsored Links
Yep, making up 2 mm with tile adhesive is fine

thanks, appreciate that. i have white star - will be ok for these tiles ?

Sponsored Links
if you are going by the book they are a bit big for a tubbed adhesive, especially on a tanked background. you'd be better off with a cement based bagged adhesive.

That said, those guidelines get broken lots, and theres a good chance it will be fine

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back