Retraining as an Electrician

Thanks guys - much more constructive :D

Can I just clarify a couple of points

1) I have no intention of ripping anyone off - either by pricing or by shoddy/dangerous work

2) I realise study and college work is required - I'm just trying to work out how much is essential vs how much is recommended (I know that most of the stuff I studied the first time round has never been used) :cry:

3) I realise I will probably be taking a pay-cut. No idea how much as nobody has hinted at what I might be taking home per day.

4) I'm seriously considering this as you can only spend so long sitting behind a desk and I'm hoping to get more job satisfaction after the change....

i'd really appreciate any more tips from the pros - maybe the ones who still enjoy their work - and especially anyone who has retrained later in life !

Thanks for all the replies

steve

Sponsored Links
1. I expect most cowboys think they're doing a good job because they don't know any different - that's half the problem.

2. Around 4 years for an electrician, around 6-10 weeks for a domestic installer.

3. Ah yes, that all-important question of how much you'll be taking home.
If you're working for yourself it depends how much work you get and how efficient you are.
If you work alongside an electrician for a few months for experience, like I already said you'll probably be working for free (there are plenty of 'electricians' with the paperwork but no experience offering their services for free), otherwise Labourer's rates, which are around £7 per hour at the moment, if you can find the work.

4. Being an electrician is way better than sitting behind a desk.

Just reading weavertronix last post, at least it was when i started typing :LOL: I wonder if there is a lot of confusion around the terminology of "i want to become an electrician" and what being an electrician is. I note the differentiation Weavertronix makes between an electrician and a domestic installer.

So perhaps when people say they want to be an electrician what they really mean is they want to do simple domestic work.

Just a thought[/quote]

Sponsored Links
STI - we're all electricians!

Different skills come into play in different working environments. I know a couple of commercial sparks who won't touch domestic as they don't want to deal with individual householders - not because they think it's any 'easier'

SB

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back