Help on the basics of becoming an electrician

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys, im new to all this so iv got a few questions on the basics of getting my qualifications. i currently work in security, so this is a whole new thing to me. i left school with straight b's and an a in maths, so im not jus some monkey trying to ruin a good trade.

i want to learn as much of the trade as quick as possible, mainly due to the fact, the isle of wight is the bane of my existence and i need to get off this rock :)

1. what qualifications do i need to be classed as a "fully qualified" electrician?

2. how long will said training take to achieve?

3. how much will it all cost?

4. will i struggle with employment due to spending most my life at college?

Sponsored Links
I think it depends on what type of electrician you wish to be, I served an apprenticeship at an industrial plant, HNC electrical/electronic engineering, C&G2382, C&G2391 amongst others and am now employed full time in maintenance/breakdown work on industrial type plants.
Other people I know went to college and did a City and Guilds in electrical installation work.
Qualifications, although are important are just as essential as experience. Is there a local college you can apply to, to see if there is any courses being run? Also to gain experience you need to try and get into the trade by working with experienced electricians, some full time courses may try to place you with electricians for training purposes but I get the feeling you may not be wanting to do a full time course.

the issue is, the IOW college only does a 1 year course that is electrical installation level 1 which i imagine for a years worth of work is absolutely useless.

id rather do a course or qualification that led me to be able to work on oil rigs or factory work as opposed to wiring houses, purely because it seems like a better career path and if i move abroad i can still do the same work offshore etc.

i basically dont want to do 3 years on the island for nothing, i would rather gain decent qualifications in less than 2 years, because i jus cant stay here much longer :)

Sponsored Links
If the IOW college only do level 1, then you need to move now.
College courses generally start in September, you should expect to be able to get on a level 2 course without the need of progression from level 1.
It will take about two and half years to complete to level 3, then depending where you want to take your career, progression to more advanced training on specified modules.
Don't fall in to the trap of the fast track courses, you simply wont learn the stuff you need to know in such a short period of time.
Take your time, learn at a steady pace and progress through the levels.
You will need some hands on experience and to be honest not a lot of companies are willing to offer this, even if you offer your labour for free.
As you will need to be insured to work and companies are not prepared to do that for casual labour. So I would be looking for full time employment with a company and a lot of the courses now are NVQ and require evidence of your work.

If you're wanting to get on to rigs etc then experience is what you need. There is no quick way to become a proper electrician. It takes years of on the job learning by watching your tradesman and then being allowed to try things for your self under supervision.

If you're wanting to get on to rigs etc then experience is what you need. There is no quick way to become a proper electrician. It takes years of on the job learning by watching your tradesman and then being allowed to try things for your self under supervision.

Absolutely, no substitute for experience. It's remarkably simple to understand domestic electrics, OSG has it all in table form, and if you want to understand it then a simple equation (Ohm's law) is all you need.

What impresses me about good tradesmen who come round to do things on my gaff is the way they can solve seemingly impossible problems without thinking about it. Only way to do that is through experience

cheers for the input guys. most of the problem is the island, if i was back in my old area up in nottingham, i probably could av found somebody to take me on for peanuts to learn on the job an get the necessary experience.

i dont particularly want to go self employed, id rather have the skills/transferrable skills that i could use in different types of work not doin house work etc.

i no the money isnt as good that way, but at the moment i just want a steady job with a standard salary as opposed to worrying where the next job is coming from.

Both my son and I came late into the trade. In both cases we worked in allied trades so were not starting from scratch. I was an Auto electrician he was an alarm engineer. We both went to night class and took three courses the 17th Edition, (Well 16th to start with), The Pat testing, and Inspection and testing. We both started working with others in the trade and we both continued to level 5 I got a foundation degree he did a HND. In both cases it was a gradual swap over and in both cases we had some one at home to ask questions me my father-in-law electrical clerk of works and father superintendent of a multi-fuel power station. And my son had both grand dads and me.

Luck comes into it a lot. I moved over while working in Algeria back in 1980's so returned to UK with enough skill to move over. With my son I was offered a job and only took it on condition they employed my son.

I am sure there are some who have done it through pure hard work but in the main it's being in right place at right time.

ye the only person i can turn to for advice, is an old training mate of mine who started out as a self employed sparky and now works at severn trent doin a semi related job, in which the skills he has are transferrable.

im tryin to find out as much info as possible at present to see if its worth enrolling in a basic level 1 course in september

You would wasting your time and money on a level one course, they are for numpties!
So I guess you don't qualify!
Get in at level two.

You would wasting your time and money on a level one course, they are for numpties!
So I guess you don't qualify!
Get in at level two.
Yes I would agree. Could not believe they were so simple. Went to do course before I did degree did just one day when the students did not know Gold and Iron was a conductor I realised it was not the course for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back