Retro fit fluorescent tube covers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to put up a fluorescent tube to light an attached garage, replacing the pathetic bulkhead that's currently installed. I've got a suitable 4ft fitting and tube going spare, so I'd like to use it, but obviously it needs a cover to protect it. Is it possible to get such a retrofit cover or will I need to bite the bullet and buy a whole new fitting? I've tried googling and searching TLC (branch just down the road from me, so anything from them preferable), but I've turned up a complete blank.

Anyone able to help?

Tim

Sponsored Links
Do you mean the diffuser that covers the tube to disipate the light? It is not compulsory nor necasary to have them fitted & they are difficult to get on their own to retrofit, although someone on here will no doubt have a source.

That's the idea, but one that will actually protect the tube rather than breaking with it. I really don't like the idea of bits of tube raining down on me if I knock it getting bits of timber out from between the beams.

Sponsored Links
What he says.

It just isn't worth the aggro of trying to find a cover when a whole new light costs so little. Plus I'm not sure there's any guarantee that all strip lights can take a cover, is there?

If you do any work on cars, or use rotating machinery of any sort, I'd advise getting one with a high frequency ballast. It will cost more, but the difference is less than the cost of replacement fingers....

If you do any work on cars, or use rotating machinery of any sort, I'd advise getting one with a high frequency ballast. It will cost more, but the difference is less than the cost of replacement fingers....

I wish!

Fluorescent tubes are available with a shrinkwrap plastic coating on them already. They can be identified by a red ring around one end. I have only seen them in shop fridges, where they are accessible to wandering hands.

Another method is to conceal the tube within a clear plastic tube which slides on in situ, but this is clearly much less effective as glass can still spill out if the tube smashes.

The best method where it can be subject to knocks is as above - the weatherproof fitting.

It is when a car with a lamp smashing radio aerial is driven into the garage that one realises it would have been worth paying for a toughened fitting.

Car in a garage? Never going to happen.

99.99% of garages are filled with other stuff.

Car in a garage? Never going to happen.

99.99% of garages are filled with other stuff.

Spot on. Except in this case, the other stuff is mainly a 1930's Austin 7 that we really need to get round to doing up at some point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back