Retro-glazing internal doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking for a specific look of internal door for my refurbishment project and can't find what I am looking for, so looking into feasibility of adapting something else!

Basically, I want this: link

in the standard 35mm thickness, but part glazed like the 8G fire door option below. I've called the company and apparently it can't be done, but I'm not sure why.

Could an aperture not be cut or routed into a standard door?

Sponsored Links
It certainly can be, but there's a considerable tendency for the veneer to split when using the router. It takes quite some skill to do this, but small section architrave does make things tidy.
Naturally expect the door to be hollow, so the inner edges need to be filled first to reinforce things.
John :)

What do you mean by a standard door, not a description which means anything. :?:

What do you mean by a standard door, not a description which means anything. :?:

Apologies, within the link I posted above, they sell SOLID CORE or 3 different versions of Fire Doors.

So, I am talking about adapting a SOLID CORE one 35mm thick rather than a Fire Door. (What can I use other than standard that means not a fire door!?)

Sponsored Links
It certainly can be, but there's a considerable tendency for the veneer to split when using the router. It takes quite some skill to do this, but small section architrave does make things tidy.
Naturally expect the door to be hollow, so the inner edges need to be filled first to reinforce things.
John :)

Thanks.

Doors I am looking at are Solid Core. I am fed up with our moulded egg shell doors. Looking forward to the feeling of something a bit more substantial!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back