Retrofit bath thermostatic mixer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a shower over the bath attached to deck mounted taps on the bath. We moved into the house around a year ago and inherited a dropping tap which I was able to resolve by replacing an obliterated washer in the tap valve. Recently the tap has stated dripping again and I assumed the washer needed replacing again but on inspection found that the washer looks as good as new but there is now a lot of movement in the valve itself.

Since we would ideally like to have a thermostatic mixer on the shower, and although the bathroom is in need of redoing, we won't get to it for 5+ years, I decided to try and replace the mixer with a thermostatic one. Since the bath is installed in such a way that it's not possible to get to the pipes underneath without wrecking the tiles etc., I am hoping that the new tap can attach to the existing deck fittings. Since I couldn't find much information on this, I decided to order one and see and it should arrive today.

However, there is an added complication which is the reason for my post. The taps in our house are all the 'wrong' way around, that's is to say, the hot tap is on the left. It's only just occurred to me that presumably thenthermostatic mixer will be configured to expect the hot/cold inflows on specific sides. Will it be possible for me to use it without dismantling the whole bathroom to get to the pipes?

Thanks for any advice!

P

Sponsored Links
If I'm understanding you correctly......

There's no way you'll change a deck mixer without getting under the bath.

Sponsored Links
yes but when the hot and cold orientation is corrected then the above option will make it a straight forward future repair job.

Edit.

Pandr quoted,However, there is an added complication which is the reason for my post. The taps in our house are all the 'wrong' way around

The hot & cold pipes need to be corrected,if only for safety reasons.

Maybe get a plumber in to correct the pipes and do the bathroom tap,an experienced plumber should be able to take his time and not break tiles (unless they are on their last legs already).

A photo of the bath/taps,under the bath would help,there may be an easy solution but that doesent mean a cheap solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the quick replies, I guess I meant that hot is on the right - either way it's the wrong side! Looks like I'll need to lump the dripping tap or fix the valve until I can get under the bath :(

Splash some cash,get a plumber in.

Although it looks a nightmare for you to do it,an experienced plumber would have been in that situation before.

Pandr,
Not helpful to getting your bath tap replaced, but when you say "The hot/cold taps in our house are ALL the 'wrong' way around", could you fix this at the boiler? If ALL the taps are wrong it might be a easy job for a good plumber to re-direct the Hot from the boiler into the cold side of all the taps and the cold side into what is currently the hot side. Looking at my system, I can see this being slightly complex (some re-routeing of pipes), but perhaps for you relatively easy?
SFK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back