Retrofitting TRVs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have moved into a new house which has an unvented I suppose old-fashioned heating system. Boiler is an Ideal Mexico Super 3, there are no TRVs and there's no cylinder thermostat. Standard room thermostat in the hall.

All works well - we don't like the either "on or off" nature of the upstairs radiators - last house had TRVs.

Question is - is it a big/expensive job to have TRVs fitted (I suppose I'm asking does it require lots of upheaval and alteration of pipework) and even if it does cost a bit - do these efficiency systems (we'd keep upstairs cooler really) likely offset the cost seen as fuel gets more and more expensive? Next question is if having TRVs, do we also think about cylinder thermostat although I expect that will be more involved.

I appreciate there may be more efficient boilers but I'm not keen on a wholesale boiler change etc (especially as I was told the boiler is "basic but very reliable" when we had it serviced on moving in.

All help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Difficult to say without seeing the job but you shouldn't really need any alterations to the pipework for fitting the TRV's. Not really a big job but i would advise you get a cylinder stat fitted assuming you meant a vented system and not unvented. This way you would certainly have more control over the room temperatures individually.

If it's gravity hot water circulation then fitting a cylinder stat on its own will be about as useful as a chocolate teapot, without converting to fully pumped operation.
This will involve a bit of pipework and fitting of zone valve/valves and possibly a new programmer.
Doing all that work together with TRV's will give you more control over your system. IMO a very worthwhile upgrade.

Sponsored Links
Obviously agree with the above it may need converting to a y plan with full boiler interlock which will make it a much more efficient system. Sorry forgot to add that one.

It will take you much longer to recoup the £ savings from a conversion to fully pumped - than the cost/savings of a rad valve change :idea: In fact I personally would just do rad valves then in the future rip the lot out and get a combi or system boiler ( when your pumped valves/ pipework will be redundant ) Gravity circulation to a hot cylinder is not so bad ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back