1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Retrospective planning permission for outbuilding

Discussion in 'Building Regulations and Planning Permission' started by Paul Collins, 25 Aug 2018.

1. Paul Collins

Paul Collins

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    My son has built a largish shed in the garden, pitched roof just under 4 meters tall, just under 2.5 meters to the eaves, all as per permitted development. A neighbour has complained to the local council and we've had a letter asking us to apply for retrospective planning permission, which may not necessarily be granted.
    The bugbear is that he's built it right against the boundary fence which upon reading the regs, is certainly not permitted. Needs to be 2 meters from the boundary.
    My question is, is it worth risking applying for the retrospective planning permission, costs about £200? Any precedence for a case like this?
    The alternative is to remove the pitched roof and convert to a 2.5 meter high flat roof.
    I'd make the point that even if it was positioned 2 meters from the boundary it would still be just as tall.
    Thanks

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Notch7

Notch7

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    All depends on the circumstances. If its blocking out light to your neighbours garden or impacting his 'enjoyment' of the garden then itll probably be refused.

The planners will want to take the least line of resistance and since it doesnt comply with pd rules, they may well refuse to avoid lots of aggravation from the neighbour.

If its more than 15sq metres and made of timber it also needs building regs if closer than 1 metre to boundary.

4. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It does not.

You can build up to the boundary under PD

5. motorbiking

motorbiking

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    My garden room building is within a meter from my boundary but its just under 15m2 (internal floor space) and the roof is just under 2.5m high. I'd convert the roof of your room it wont be that hard to do and will be probably what you have to do anyway, after apply for permission.

6. tony1851

tony1851

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That may not necessarily be the case. If the council refuse the application, they know you will almost certainly appeal to the Planning Inspectorate. This would cause the council far more time and aggravation in responding to the appeal, than just fobbing off the neighbour with a simple letter.
    They would probably be happy to accept your £206 planning application fee, and waive it through.

7. JULIE GREEN

JULIE GREEN

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    How did your son get on? I’m in a similar position. Our alternative option is to move whole sun house by 1m. Awaiting pre application being applied for to see how we stand.

8. Sponsored Links