Reusing Shower Enclosure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My shower tray has cracked (after 5 years) and needs to be replaced. The retailer has sent a replacement tray. Is it reasonable to re-use the enclosure?

In theory I know I could remove it carefully and reinstall it but I suspect I'll either bend some of the trim and/or leave some silicon on somewhere when cleaning it up and then not get a proper seal.

Does anyone have experience of re-using an enclosure?

Currently I'm minded to eBay the tray the retailer has sent (offset quadrant) and buy a replacement rectangular tray with enclosure for the simplest install but I'm reluctant to outlay the £££ if it won't actually make life that much easier.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Is it a recess installation or a corner one? If it's a recess then no chance, you need a new screen. If it's a corner one then there's some hope of reusing it

As long as the enclosure is in good condition and if removed properly and carefully then no reason it can't be re-used. I would say that about any enclosure/screen

Sponsored Links
The first problem to be addressed is whether the tray sits "inside" the enclosure or whether the enclosure sits on top of the tray. If the former then your problems are minimised; if the latter then you have to address how you get a 'heavy' tray into and under the enclosure with bedding compound under it and how you raise the tray to produce a controlled gap between it and the enclosure.

If the latter case, here's how I've done it twice in the past into 'impossible' rectangular enclosures.

a) clear away all old floor bedding compound to produce a clean flat surface
b) cut a couple of long thin strips of wood twice the full depth of the shower and of a thickness that is a bit less than the initial gap between the shower tray and he enclosure wall. These strips are to permit you to slide the tray into the opening.
c) to raise the tray up to the suitable clearance between it and the enclosure wall use a couple of bicycle inner tubes, layed in flat before sliding in the tray, then gently inflate both tubes to raise the tray off of the wooden strips. If necessary use temporary wooden wedge pieces to control the tray-to-enclosure gap.
d) inject suitable bedding compound using extension tubes on the gun to ensure you're filling right from the back

For (d) I actually used expanding foam but you need to be careful that you don't over-expand and to achieve this I cut lots of large relief holes in the floor so's excess could escape.

e) Before the bedding compound has set, vent the bicycle tubes and extract them and the wooden strips, otherwise they'll get locked in. The density of the bedding will prevent the tray from 'sinking'

Wow Jackrae, that sounds proper Heath Robinson. Glad that has worked for you. The enclosure is definitely on top of the tray. My plan, if it can be reused, it to

1) Completely disassemble it it reverse to the installation
2) Get the old tray and first row of tiles out.
3) Build a new base for the new tray, make good backer boards etc and fix the new tray.
4) Re-tile and grout as necessary
5) Re-install the enclosure.

The only real bit I'm undecided on is keeping the enclosure and the same shape tray or getting a new enclosure and changing the shape of tray at the same time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back