REV24RF advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm thinking of fitting a Seimens REV24RF to my WB Greenstar 30si to replace the mechanical timer MT10.

Is it common practice to tap the power for the receiver from within the boiler?

I also have the option of a WB DT10RF mk1 which looks easier to fit. This I believe has the advantage of being able to switch on and off the ECO mode of the boiler (preheat) although its programmer functions are limited (no party mode especially). We like to run with preheat enabled so this could sway me if it was a big saving not having preheat. Does switching off preheat overnight save much in gas (we are currently not metered for our water anyway).

Thanks for any advice!

J

Sponsored Links
Is it common practice to tap the power for the receiver from within the boiler?
Yes it is. Most boilers provide connections for this on the same block as the switched live. Other Greenstars do, I imagine this one does too.

The WB controller isn't necessarily easier to fit (the Seimens is just two wires plus power) but you might like the tidiness of a controller that fits into the front panel of the boiler. Turning the preheat off just at night night would save you a few pence a day. Water saving is not applicable so long as the preheat is on whenever you need hot water. Not on metered water, I'd suggest not bothering with the preheat at all, but you decide whether you notice the few extra seconds waiting for hot water.

The Siemens is a more sophisticated controller, which you might find useful or annoying depending on your nature. The DT10RF is pretty basic despite having Optimiser in the name.

Ideally for safety the stat should be supplied with power from a switched live so that switching off the boiler will give no live to the stat.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back