Drayton LP522 for a WB 440cdi Highflow..... Preheat Issue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

Having read "UKSOUP's" and "Ianniann's" post on this following matter I'm unsure if my question has been fully answered... Can anyone please offer any other advice?

In the winter of 2010 I had a WB 440cdi Highflow installed by a WBAI. At the same time a Drayton Lifestyle LP522 was wired to it. The programmer controls the CH perfectly - so Im happy there. My query lies at "Is this programmer also controling the preheat function of the boiler?"

Before we go off-topic here, I understand that preheat ISN'T a function suitable for everyone. For ME it would be.

The programmer is wired the following way:

Boiler Ns - Drayton N
Boiler Ls - Drayton L
Boiler Lr - Drayton Pin 4
Boiler HW Interface (I think) - Drayton Pin 3

On the Drayton, Pin 4 comes "Live 240v" when the timer calls for CH thus powering the Boiler "Lr".

On the Drayton, Pin 3 is "Live 240v" permantly. (I've tested with MMeter).

I would have expected the Drayton Pin 3 to only come live when the timer calls for DHW to be preheated.....

Am I missing something here?

Sponsored Links
Quite simply NO, the lifestyle 522 is a single chanel timeswitch that controls your heating only.The 522 is fitted to an industry standard backplate so don't confuse yourself with anything that says HW on it, they have no function.

Cheers

Quite simply NO, the lifestyle 522 is a single channel time switch that controls your heating only.
No it is not! The 522 is a 5day/2Day 2 channel programmer with independent timing of each channel.

On the Drayton, Pin 3 is "Live 240v" permantly. (I've tested with MMeter).
Are you sure the HW channel is not set to On? If it is, you will have 240v on T3 all the time, You need to set it to Timed or Once for the set times to apply. See User Instructions.

:oops: Sorry I thought this was a standard combi.

Well you can't be right all the time - once in a while does me. :oops:

Sponsored Links
Beerlover - I'm pretty certain the 522 is 5/2day programmer DUAL channel.

D_Hailsham - I wired the 522 with just Pos 240v and Neg and got the following from different tests..

1. No call for CH or DHW

Pin 1 - 0v
Pin 2 - 240v
Pin 3 - 240v
Pin 4 - 0v

2. Call for CH only

Pin 1 - 0v
Pin 2 - 0v
Pin 3 - 240v
Pin 4 - 240v

3. Call for DHW only

Pin 1 - 0v
Pin 2 - 240v
Pin 3 - 240v
Pin 4 - 0v

4. Call for both DHW and CH

Pin 1 - 0v
Pin 2 - 0v
Pin 3 - 240v
Pin 4 - 240v

Hope this helps....?

On the back of the LP522, there is a link with two positions, P and G. It should be in the P position.

I've read your reply about the link on the back.

D_Hailsham - I wired the 522 with just Pos 240v and Neg and got the following from different tests.
Did you disconnect the back plate completely from the system and just connect L and N, then measure at 1-4? If you did, the LP522 is faulty; you should be getting the results in bold:

1. No call for CH or DHW

Pin 1 - 0v 240v
Pin 2 - 240v 240v
Pin 3 - 240v 0v
Pin 4 - 0v 0v

2. Call for CH only

Pin 1 - 0v 240v
Pin 2 - 0v 0v
Pin 3 - 240v 0v
Pin 4 - 240v 240v

3. Call for DHW only

Pin 1 - 0v 0v
Pin 2 - 240v 240v
Pin 3 - 240v 240v
Pin 4 - 0v 0v

4. Call for both DHW and CH

Pin 1 - 0v 0v
Pin 2 - 0v 0v
Pin 3 - 240v 240v
Pin 4 - 240v 240v

Yes - I completely removed the back plate from the system and wired just two wires - Brown (live 240) to L on the backplate and Blue (Neg 0v) to N on the backplate. I've just redon my test and I got the same results as before.

So, my 522 is faulty. :( It's off to the plumbers in the morning. The unit should still be under warranty I guess.

Do you mind me asking where you got your test results from? This way I can suggest to the merchant thats what the timer should be doing?

Thanks so much for your time and help.

Ash

Do you mind me asking where you got your test results from?
If you look on page 6 of the Installation Instructions, you will see the internal wiring of your programmer. The CH and HW switches are both double pole. When they are OFF, 240V goes from L to the OFF terminal; and when they are ON, 240v goes from L to the ON terminal. That is what I have shown in my last reply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back