Reverse Circulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I seem to have the symptoms of reverse circulation as described in these pages i.e. some of the radiators heat up from the return side when only HW is selected. When CH is turned on, they then heat up normally from the TRV side.

Hopefully I have successfully added a diagram of the accessible parts of the system - does this give any clues? This has always been an issue since we moved to this house - no changes have bben made.

Link edited so we can see it better - Mod 10

Sponsored Links
If the pipe marked "not sure" is 22mm it is probably a combined feed and vent from the F/E tank.

The important thing is the pipe marked "from cylinder?". If this is the return from the cylinder, it must be connected to the return after all the rad returns. If there is a rad return between the cylinder return and the boiler, you will get reverse flow.

How it happens; Blue you want, Red you don't:
flowrevjx2.gif

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies. I don't think that there can be radiator returns after the cylinder return. My digram is like a plan of the house really. The cylinder is directly above the boiler at the rear of the house and the affected radiators are at the front. I can't think why there would be any more pipework other than to/from radiators at the front.

The "not sure" pipe is indeed, 22mm.

Look it's easy to tell if it's rev circ - feel which end of the rads gets hot first and mark them.
Then put the heating on when they're all cold. If it's the SAME end it's just the motorised valve letting by.
TRVs can be either end.

if it's only 1 or a few rads getting hot (warm) then it probably is the motorised alve is letting some heated water by when it's supposed to be fully shut.

Look it's easy to tell if it's rev circ - feel which end of the rads gets hot first and mark them.
Then put the heating on when they're all cold. If it's the SAME end it's just the motorised valve letting by.
TRVs can be either end.

Try this as it is the easiest way to tell and if the opposite ends get hot first when heating IS on, then you know it IS reverse circulation!!

It is all the front of house radiators that get more than warm - the furthest away ones less so. The flow pipe is only hot for a about a foot beyond the motorised valve (conduction?), the return pipe is hot hot.
I have a cellar so have easy acces to the valves etc. The heating flow and return dissapear through brick wall towards the front of the house. Can't really see what's going on there without lifting laminate flooring which has the skirting on top!
Individual feeds/returns to the 2 upstairs (front) radiators are visible - small bore pipes - go up through a cupboard at the front door.

Easy access to 4 rear radiator branches - all 4 small bore pipes feed and returns at 2 manifolds at the points marked on the diagram.

Why tell the OP how to check for reverse solution when it is obvious from their first post that they do?
arildthegreat said:
some of the radiators heat up from the return side when only HW is selected. When CH is turned on, they then heat up normally from the TRV side.
And, if you are still confused:
arildthegreat said:
OK, it is the opposite side - should have made that clearer.

OP
So, the return pipe from the HW cylinder is definitely the last connection before the main return pipe enters the boiler. You need to confirm this by visual inspection; saying "I think so" is not sufficient.

The HW return is the last connection -immediatley (a few inches) before the return pipe enters the boiler. I agree that it all probably sounds confusing - but these are the facts.

Someone asked whether there was a valve on the bypass. Why did you ask? Could this help in the diagnosis e.g. run the hot water with this closed?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back