revitalising stained suspended ceiling tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Plumber by trade so forgive my ignorance :oops: All advice very much appreciated.
The missus is a kitchen manager and has been sent away to troubleshoot on a problem regarding a commercial kitchen that has an upcoming H&S inspection. The kitchen is 20+ years old. The general food prep, storage, cleaning areas are all up to standard re basics food hygeine, the staff are all well trained and up to date... the kitchen got 5* on last inspection BUT...
The age of the place means that although safe and well managed it is looking very old, tired and in dire need of sprucing up. The only sticking point on the project that I am having trouble with is this.

The ceiling tiles are 4x2" very old tired and stained although ostensibly clean and free of any bacterial infestation/contamination. But they look reet grubby! They are made up of what loks like heavy, dense foam covered with a thin vinyl layer on the visible side. The smooth finish type not the flimsy foam rough finish.

The ceiling is made up of a suspended aluminium framed laticework spaced at 4 x 2. It incorporates the usual .... 4 foot tube ligths fixed thru the laticework... 2 ft sq air vents etc. Behind the tiles/framework is a plethora of ducting, cables and rockwool insulation. So, consequently, its a right B^%$£R to get the darned things down without creating a god awfull dusty mess in the process and there's only a 2 hour window between the place opening up and the staff arriving to prep before opening up to the public.

This is my suggestion... all comments... alternatives greatly appreciated.
Instead of struggling to get the tiles down I thought of wedging them, up ever so slightly, and painting them in situ. Leaving the paint to dry off before relocating the wedges and cutting in the areas missed by the wedges.

So I thought that a fast drying, good quality, medium to high viscosity non-drip paint would suffice for the job??? The area is too big to be done in one day given the time considerations.

What do you all think?
Any recommendations re manufacturers types of paint??? The tiles are a mid grey colour btw!

Yours in appreciation/anticipation.... Loaf

Sponsored Links
Hi, first off so your aware you should check with the manufacturer about what affects painting these tiles may cause (acoustic and fire rating).

Would you not be able to paint these at night time? It's just even quick drying paints need time to harden up a bit.

A painted surface may not be acceptable for food hygiene as it can flake off.

Overcladding the existing ceiling with stainless steel sheet fixed with self-tapping screws into the existing grid may be an option. EDIT: check that the grid can take the increased weight!

This will reduce the reflectivity of the ceiling so upgrading the lighting may be required. However, ordinary 'modular' light fittings are also often not acceptable for kitchens now and overcladding the whole ceiling and fitting new surface luminaires (weatherproof with polycarbonate diffusers to IP65) might be required.

A painted surface may not be acceptable for food hygiene as it can flake off.

Overcladding the existing ceiling with stainless steel sheet fixed with self-tapping screws into the existing grid may be an option.

This will reduce the reflectivity of the ceiling so upgrading the lighting may be required. However, ordinary 'modular' light fittings are also often not acceptable for kitchens now and overcladding the whole ceiling and fitting new surface luminaires (weatherproof with polycarbonate diffusers to IP65) might be required.
I think you should suggest this option, even though its more expensive it can be washed and is a hell of a lot quicker

Sponsored Links
Many years ago we painted similar in a Council Property, (Kitchen and Dining Area.) Tiles were removed and given two coats white matt emulsion and replaced, as stipulated by the Council.

Interesting point about the Fire Rating though, maybe worth checking the regulations. May have changed these days.

P.S The Council Property was a Fire Station.

I think you mean 4x2', not 4x2".

You say the tiles have a vinyl film over them.

Have you tried just giving them a good clean?

folks! Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll look into the fire rating issue with the head honcho. In the meantime, I'll take a few down and try n give em a jolly good cleaning. Like I said, theres a god awfull load of stuff directly behind the tiles. Thanks again. Watch this post and I'll let you know how I get on. Oh, and btw, sorry about the " & ' confusion :oops: Like the wife says to me all the time " Loaf, you've got a 12" d%$k, but you don't use it as a rule!" :p :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back