Rewire all my wired tools to a safety off switch advise needed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

So, I recently came across a video of someone rewiring his tools as the cables took up too much room, and he now uses a quick connect system. My first thought was is this a good idea, would I be able to trim down all my wire tools, and put a quick connect system on it, and allow all the tools to work via 1 main long cable, but the tools would only have about 2 ft actually usable instead of about 2meters or more.

I then googled this, and found another guy who had a quick connection but lockable (at least that is what I gathered from the video), so, I thought, okay, so, if this is an option, I could get a reel of cable, connect a quick connection system to this, and have a safety easy press shut off power button that can be easily used. I am thinking I can put the quick safety switch near where I am working, so any bump from me = no power.

I built a BBQ outdoor kitchen last year - it took me almost the whole year to do it but I did do it. I am disabled and slow, so it takes me forever to do a simple DIY job. This is why I think this could be a good idea, but I am unsure what you guys think of this, is it more a failure waiting to happen, should I try and stick to the cables provided by the manufacturer?

An other quick question, most of the tools (most importantly, a Dyson vacuum to clean the car) I could take to the store and cut down to size, to a point that I can then use the wood cut down to size, I can finalise the size at home, its just away to get some of the big sheets or plywood to 2x4's. I have a car plug power switch so I can have my machines keeping me alive if I fall asleep in the car, but that is 240v, on the plug on some tools and car cleaning stuff, says 250v, so it didn't work for those devices unless we were doing it wrong (plugged in when cleaning the cars and no power) so I checked tools and those of 250v didn't work.

Sponsored Links
The inconvenience of sharing one cable between x number of power tools far outweighs the benefit of space saving. Plus you can use more than tool at a time, and add an extension lead where necessary.

Blup

Sorry, I am finding it difficult to follow what you are saying, possibly my fault- I have a cold and have just to the pub...

Most of my Festool power tools have detachable power leads. To be honest, I seldom undo them because I had a couple of dodgy leads that arced and infected other tools.

One problem with retro-fitting connections, let's say 60cm down the flex is that they may snag on obstacles. A bigger problem is that, unless you pay a lot for each female and male fitting, they are unlikely to be safe to use in a puddle.

I have no idea if your ring main in the house is on an RCD or not, if it isn't why not just purchase a pass through RCD plug for your extension lead?

Apropos, what I think is an inverter in your car. I suspect that the devices that will not work are not working because they are listed as being 250v, but because the amperage (read:Watts) is too high for the inverter. You may well be able to charge a laptop but not run a vacuum cleaner. A laptop charger may be 20W, the vacuum cleaner may be 1300W. Unless you have a really expensive inverter, it will not be able to supply a high wattage device.

An alternative would be to purchase cordless tools. No cords to worry about, however, unless you want lots of different chargers and batteries, you will get sucked in to a given brand.

Sponsored Links
Never had a problem with cables taking up too much room? In fact I extend mine to 3-4m makes them so less likely to snag.
The switch you link to is an easy cut off switch , not safety , you need rcd as mentioned by opps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back