Rewire or not rewire?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Doing some renovaions and when taking the ceillings down due to removing walls noticed that the house had bare earth wires running through it from the lighting circuits. I have planned to put a new cosumer unit in and get the meter moved. The house had ecomony 7 heating so was going to convert these to sockets as there arent many sockets on the ring main. Would it be worth while to replace the lighting circuits to or do a full rewire.

Sponsored Links
I would have a PIR (periodic inspection report) done, this would help determine the safety and health of your installation.
The bare CPC (earth cables) can be sleeved with little trouble, PVC sleeving is available to buy.

Do you mean unsleeved earth wires within fittings, or bare wires running about the house?

Photo of a removed fitting, and consumer unit/fuseboard, so we can have a giggle / advise more appropriately?

I mean bare earth wires running throughout the house through joists and back to cu.

Is there part p in Northern Ireland or has it to be reported to building control? maybe prentice boy of derry may know?

You'll have to wait to the weekend for pics as I'm working till then.

Sponsored Links
I mean bare earth wires running throughout the house through joists and back to cu.
Mine has this, I'm having it rewired. You will probably find only twin core feeding the switches. They didnt bother earthing switches when they retro'd in earth cores. But the wiring is probably past its best now anyway. Luckily my house has lath and plaster stud walls so its easy to rewire most places! :D

They do have part p in the NI regs but it's nothing to do with electrics, "Sanitary appliances and unvented hot water storage systems"

Hi Paul,

Judging from experience your best bet would be a full rewire, the stranded earth cables run around the house from the consumer unit gives it away that your system is quite old. The stranded earths are usually just twisted together at various places throughout the house, when we are carrying out rewires we often find quite a few of these are cut or disconnected leaving you with no earth at accessories such as lights and sockets.

As prenticeboy says a Periodic inspection may be useful but to be honest a good spark can pretty much look in your meter cupboard and tell you whether or not you need a rewire. Also a periodic inspection unfortunately cannot detect everything such as cables running diagonally accross walls, DIY disasters hiding under floorboards and the likes.

What part of NI are you from, perhaps Prenticeboy or myself could help you out?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back