Rewire (see drawing.jpg) How long will it take?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm converting a 2 storey building into 2 one bed flats (7.5m X 6m) each. I've put together a plan for the electrical fittings.

A combination of limited time and need to keep the building regs man happy will mean I will pass this one onto the pro's.

All cable work will be through new timber studs(no plasterboard) and a sustended ceiling. Plumbing will be in Hep20 plastic pipe (no earth bonding?). The building is vacant and empty i.e. no furniture.

So how long should it take a pro to wire up two identical flats?

Sponsored Links
Just to summarize per flat:-

23 Recessed lights
3 pendant lights
13 light swiches
15 Double sockets
2 single sockets
1 cooker
1 hob
1 cooker extractor
Bathroom
Power for electric underfloor heating
Shaver socket
Power for electric towel rail
Power for whirlpool spa bath
3 External lights
2 Mains powered Smoke detectors
1 Mains powered Heat detector
New consumer unit.
Approx 50m2 of area

You need to get some quotes from sparks in your area. Prices and times vary from sparks to sparks, between regions and how much works about in your area at the time.

Pensdown said:
You need to get some quotes from sparks in your area. Prices and times vary from sparks to sparks, between regions and how much works about in your area at the time.

I agree that rates change with area, hence the reason for steering clear of 'how much will this cost?'

So asking how long the job will take should be pretty consistent where ever the building is in the UK.

I'm *happy* to pay the going day rate for the job in my area but I dont wanna subsidise exotic holidays is the seychelles when all I'm left with is a wet week in Bognor :)

Sponsored Links
There’s quite a lot going on in your flats with down lights, switching, under floor heating etc. Without seeing it and without knowing how much you change your mind ;) if I wanted to holiday on Canvey Island I would say 3-4 days, Cyprus, 5-7 & the Seychelles 8+ per flat

Pensdown said:
There’s quite a lot going on in your flats with down lights, switching, under floor heating etc. Without seeing it and without knowing how much you change your mind ;) if I wanted to holiday on Canvey Island I would say 3-4 days, Cyprus, 5-7 & the Seychelles 8+ per flat

Cheers - I hear Canvey Island is very nice at this time of the year :)

I have thrown quite a lot into the flats but I figure as the property will be be a bare carcass I may aswell get it wired up fully. I remember putting in main voltage downlighting in my old house (pre part p of course) and was thinking at the time shall I have 6 or 9 lights in a 12ft X 12ft room ... Suffice to say I never regretted having more lights and sockets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back