full rewire, how long?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm freaking out that we're not getting this house done fast enough.. ( hence why I'm up at 01:37 with "what am I doing on it tomorrow?" running through my head )

Roughly how long should it take to rewire an occupied house with 2 sparkies working 8 hours a day?
It's occupied and needs sockets and lights on and carpets back down by the end of each day..

I recon 10-12 man/days ( ie 5-6 days for 2 blokes ), since a good 2-3 man/hours each day is lifting and replacing the boards and moving tools / kit in and out.. ( based on two of us taking about 45 mins tonight to put it back right and clear out )

I've been on it since tuesday where I was on it solo so that's only one man/day, then wednesday the other guy didn't get there until about 10am because of induction so that's really only 1 3/4 man days.
thursday was 2 m/d and friday will be 2 m/d.
so as I type we're only really 4.75 m/d into a 10m/d job....
we've first fixed the kitchen ring, fridge radial and cooker radial, and all but 2 new upstairs ring points.....

shower wiring will be in by end of friday as will all the downstairs lights ( I hope.. :)
out building feed too and maybe the new board up ( but with old circuits for now so they have power and lights for the weekend... )

that leaves 3-5 m/d to do the upstairs lights and downstairs ring ( 5 sockets, 4 in lounge 1 in hall.. )

Sponsored Links
I am freaking out about how to single handed wire a thatched cottage that during the work does not have to have lights and power other than by extension lead from the sockets in the kitchen.

You have my sympathy.

We were knocking out 2 bed council houses in under 3 days (2 men) in the eighties, The key was to get the downstairs lighta and all the sockets wired on the first day so there was only once to take up carpets and move stuff, would not be able to do it now though :(

Sponsored Links
Of course.

That was done at the end of the day sitting in the van with a fag whilst the apprentice loaded up all the tools etc.

And I'll bet the wiring was all in surface trunking too.

Of course.

That was done at the end of the day sitting in the van with a fag whilst the apprentice loaded up all the tools etc.

And I'll bet the wiring was all in surface trunking too.

All flushed in and made good, no cavity drops

To do a quick job means exposed trunking and little or no time taken in hiding cables.

To hide cable will always result in some compromise clearly ripping channels down every wall is quick for the electrician but causes more work for plasterer and it is near impossible to work out how long a re-wire will take.
One hopes swings and roundabouts where giving a quote may lose on one but gain on another always bit of a chance but with added problem of people in the house I would not want to give a quote.

Some electricians will look for every short cut other feel they can afford to have pride in their work even if it takes longer. I have seen the same set of electricians install an alarm in two identical BT building the first before bonus was introduced took 18 man days the second after bonus took 8 man days. Both worked and both passed the inspection but the first was a far better job.

So with a standard three bedroom house two guys could take 2 days to three weeks depending on how it's done and how many problems arise. A new house is very different one can work out reasonably well how long. But if you get a guy who goes outside one an hour to smoke a fag leaving the other guy twiddling his fingers etc. Then it can really stretch out. Job and knock was the old way around the problem. Once this is done you can go home. And working with my son that's what we did. We would give ourselves targets once finished that was it for the day. It's sometimes called taking a natural where no fixed dinner time etc. But dinner is taken once a set job is completed.

However it does not go down well with the wife if home one day at 3pm and next at 7pm.

I wonder how many earth clamps Tenby sell these days, I used to go through hundreds bonding pipework in schools

They've still got Kai, aka Millennium Boy, to fall back on...

kaibondingearthot1.jpg

;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back