My House Rewire (Current progress and some questions!)

lorraine said:
4. We are about to install an upstairs ring, the problem lies in the cable routing. the holes in the joists that the previous circuit used (radial circuit) aren't between 25 and 40% of the beam length. Would it be okay to use these holes are will the council ask me to drill holes in the correct place? I figure having two holes is worse than having one! :D
The hole-placement is nothing to do with electricity - it's the reduction in strength of the joists that's as stake. If there are holes there already, even if they're in the wrong place, I can assure you that drilling new ones won't make the joists stronger! :LOL:

If there are holes you can use, use them. If not, drill the new ones in the right areas of the woodwork.

Cheers,

Howard

Sponsored Links
Hi

Yes thats what I thought, if you drill another hole you reduce the second moment of area some more which is not a good thing. I was just worried about the building regs guy coming and telling me off.

I think the joist can be modelled as a simply supported beam with two reactions at either end and then a point load in the middle. Suggesting that around the 25% area is where the bending moment is 0.

Lorraine

the joists have already been weakened by the exisint holes. now, do you use those holes, meaning it stays at how strong it is now, or drill more holes weakening it even more. i would just use the old holes

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back