rewired or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Im new hear, PLEASE help, can you tell me if a flat was rewired 1976,is it likely to be up to saftey standards,Im not very up on electrics. On viewing the flat I want to buy, I noticed the old type cable from a ceiling fitting [twisted cord.......] On asking the seller he said the flat got a re wire in 76.....Cant understand why that twisted cord was there.
If I need a compleat rewire I may not be able to get access to the flat above, so what can I do, how can I tell when it was rewired ect. Im lost..... Sorry this

Sponsored Links
A generally accepted figure for the life of a domestic installation is 25 years. although this is not absolute.

Someone from the U.K. will be able to give you a better idea of the state of the installation of this age, however my openion would be that it will require a rewire shortly.

i would get a peice of each size of cable (find somewhere that sells by the meter off the roll) then open each fitting and compare

lights houdl be in at leas 1mm twin and earth
sockets should be in at least 2.5mm twin and earth

post pics of any unusual cables here :)

New to forum......reply to myself!!!!!!!! :( I am waiting for your replies,encorage me PLEASE. :(

Sponsored Links
shandrea said:
New to forum......reply to myself!!!!!!!! :( I am waiting for your replies,encorage me PLEASE. :(

:?: but you have had replies

:D Thanks Plugwash + BR for your replies. I cannot get photoes at this stage as I have not purchased this flat yet. My worries are that if I do purchase , how can they rewire if they cannot get access to the flat above... Is it possible to pull wires through !!!!. I would not like to have conduite over the celing. The flat is very large, what will I pay for such a job ! TA .

perhaps your best option here is to have a basic test and inspect carried out by an electrical contractor in your area

it's just it is difficult for sombody to say without being able to see the installation in full :)

OK well I dont own my own home but I've seen all them tv programmes that are the rage at the moment and they all seem to have to get inspected "subject to inspection" so find out if the inspector can check the wireing, I reackon that if you can get to see the CU (Fusebox) if it looks all nice and new then the wireing should be good.

Richardp said:
, I reackon that if you can get to see the CU (Fusebox) if it looks all nice and new then the wireing should be good.

not necessarily true, and not a good thing to just look for, a consumes unit can just be changed leaving the old wiring, best option would be to take things apart and have a look (not for the diy) seller should have no objections if nothing to hide

Thanks for all replies to rewire or not.
Does make sense to look at wires, but at this stage it is difficult as I am in the early stages of sale.
Breezer any ideas how much to rewire a VERY LARGE FLAT, 3 bed,basement and how you can do it if you cannot get access to upstairs flat, I am concerned about how awfull this would look, if done with conduit.... Ta.

its hard for any one to say without seeing it sorry :oops: you may for example want 3 sockets in each corner (just a suggestion) and two way switching for each light in each room, it really does depend on each premisises.

all i can suggest is get several quotes

Breezer
ok thanks for your help. Ill catch up with you as soon as I get more info.

Another thing you may want to take into account, shandrea, is the general condition of the flat and what plans you have for redecoration. A good rewire, burying all cables and sinking all accessories flush will make a lot of mess. (a LOT!) But if you're going to gut the place anyway then that's not a problem. If an electrician has unfettered access and is not quoting for making good (plastering over cable chases, etc) then the cost will be lower than if he has to work around you. If at all possible this is a job ideally done before you move in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back