Rewiring and building control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone who isn't part P registered have any experience of the whole building control business?

I pick up the keys to my house on Thursday, and as I'm not moving in straight away, I plan on rewiring it while I've got the chance. Already have an MK sentry board full of RCBOs and all the other gear ready to go.

I used to work for BT doing electrical work, have pretty much re wired a few telephone exchanges over the years, and also done periodic testing in my time. I now work for the electricity board so still have a full set of calibrated instruments that come out to play regularly...

From what I can work out, I need to contact building control first and let them know my intentions. I may or may not have to provide a schematic drawing of my planned installation, they may accept a detailed (ish) written description of my proposals. I also have to hand over a sum of money at this point.

Next I let them know when I've first fixed and they (might/should) come and take a look.

The last bit is the inspection and testing, hopefully they will accept that I'm suitably qualified to complete a BS7671 installation certificate, having spent hours doing them in the past. If not, my dad was part P registered up until about 2 years ago so hopefully that'll be enough.

If they decide that's no good, I either have to pay their electrician to come and do a bit of testing, or I have to get someone who is Part P registered to come and do a PIR.

After that they'll give me a certificate to say it's passed the building regs, but not an EIC.

Have I missed anything/got anything wrong?

Apologies in advance if this comes up often, I don't want to go running into this and then find out there's no way of getting it signed off.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Well it sounds as though you're going to do it all above board, so best bet is to call them and see how they want to play it.

If they decide that's no good, I either have to pay their electrician to come and do a bit of testing, or I have to get someone who is Part P registered to come and do a PIR.
After that they'll give me a certificate to say it's passed the building regs, but not an EIC.
You could go down the three signature certificate route:
Design
Construction
I&T
Which if done correctly an EIC can be issued.

From what I can work out, I need to contact building control first and let them know my intentions. I may or may not have to provide a schematic drawing of my planned installation, they may accept a detailed (ish) written description of my proposals.
I really can't see the point of providing all of that information. What use is it to them?

They don't need anything other than "Replacement of Consumer Unit and complete rewire. All work to be designed, installed and tested in compliance with BS 7671:2008 Amd 1."

I also have to hand over a sum of money at this point.
Indeed.

Next I let them know when I've first fixed and they (might/should) come and take a look.
You also have to tell them when you start.

The last bit is the inspection and testing, hopefully they will accept that I'm suitably qualified to complete a BS7671 installation certificate, having spent hours doing them in the past.
They might or might not - as SF said, discuss it with them.

An EICR is not the correct certificate for this sort of work - they may not be happy with that.

But you'll know before you start.

Yes.

But you can issue an EIC for the work. You can't self-certify compliance with the Building Regulations, and your LABC don't have to accept your EIC, but if you're doing work like this you ought to be absolutely sure, and 100% confident that you could stand your ground justifying yourself, that you can issue a valid EIC. If you aren't/can't then you shouldn't be doing it.

Sponsored Links
I really can't see the point of providing all of that information. What use is it to them?

They don't need anything other than "Replacement of Consumer Unit and complete rewire. All work to be designed, installed and tested in compliance with BS 7671:2008 Amd 1."

That's the sort of information I was after, there's many conflicting reports online.

Thanks for your pointers everyone. I'll give them a bell when I have the keys and go from there, and report back with my experiences.

Nowhere on the council website gives any proper information about it, so I can see why people do ignore the rules...

Most of my customers have never even herd of part P and seem a bit shocked to get an EIC or minor works when the jobs complete.
But everyone knows that you must use a Gas Safe register fitter for gas works.
Part P just isnt working in my view sometimes wonder what im paying £450 a year for.

From what I can work out, I need to contact building control first and let them know my intentions. I may or may not have to provide a schematic drawing of my planned installation, they may accept a detailed (ish) written description of my proposals.

Tell that to Stockport Metropolitan Borough Council.

Most of my customers have never even herd of part P and seem a bit shocked to get an EIC or minor works when the jobs complete.
Part P just isnt working in my view sometimes wonder what im paying £450 a year for.

Here here.

My son did it on house in Liverpool all very easy he filled in the installation certificate.

In Flintshire they would not allow him to sign he only had a C&G2391 but would allow me to sign with a degree.

They visited before I started but never visited again. I took certificate into the Shire hall and the completion certificate arrived in post.

My son did it on house in Liverpool all very easy he filled in the installation certificate.

In Flintshire they would not allow him to sign he only had a C&G239

But that's all you need, innit.

Well it's only been part of the legal framework for eight years, give them a chance to get message out! ;)
My two weekly bin collection seems to get more informed coverage!

Sadly you have to forget the rules and just phone your LBC...mine advised me I could do all the work but get it tested by my sparc and submit the results and they'd sign off on it...not strictly in line with the rules as I understand it, but saves me paying for the LBC to get an electrician in of their own...so very pragmatic.

In Flintshire they would not allow him to sign he only had a C&G2391 but would allow me to sign with a degree.

Dare one ask what sort of degree satisfies a local council - History of Art or something else completely irrelevant?

Not having a dig at you, but at the lack of technical knowledge endemic in society.

There's also the endemic class structure which places irrelevant values on certain qualifications.

Look at who can countersign passport applications for example.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back