Rewiring and building control

Mmm, i'd say in many ways someone with a degree like mine (electronic systems engineering) is very likely to know just enough to be dangerous. Before I started hanging out on forums like this I had no idea what earth fault loop impedance was or why it was important.

Sponsored Links
If the OP already has a board full of RCBOs and intends to keep that then he can probably do all his work without any requirement for notification - if he waits 2 weeks before he starts. After that, if he isn't adding a circuit or replacing the CU, then the only question is whether there's any work within the zones of a bathroom - which is probably no.

Mmm, i'd say in many ways someone with a degree like mine (electronic systems engineering) is very likely to know just enough to be dangerous. Before I started hanging out on forums like this I had no idea what earth fault loop impedance was or why it was important.

You don't even know that you don't wash plugs... :rolleyes: ;)

There's also the endemic class structure which places irrelevant values on certain qualifications.

Look at who can countersign passport applications for example.

That's not class, it's getting a signature from someone with lots to lose if they falsify it.

Sponsored Links
If the OP already has a board full of RCBOs and intends to keep that then he can probably do all his work without any requirement for notification - if he waits 2 weeks before he starts. After that, if he isn't adding a circuit or replacing the CU, then the only question is whether there's any work within the zones of a bathroom - which is probably no.

As long as he doesn't approach BC before the 6th. They are supposed to still apply the current regs to approvals gained before the 6th.

That's not class, it's getting a signature from someone with lots to lose if they falsify it.
No, it isn't.

It is a presumption that someone has to "work in a recognised profession or be ‘a person of good standing in their community’" to be trusted to sign them, but that that there are some jobs which mean you'll never be regarded that way.

It's a presumption that the word of an airline pilot is worth more than the word of a train or bus driver.

It's a presumption that a commissioned officer or a WO or a CPO is of better standing than a sergeant.

It is, without any doubt, a class-based, or biased, system.

Wasn't there something about "if you read books for a living and do gardening for a hobby you are thought more of than someone who does gardening for a living and reads books for a hobby"?

It might have been BAN who quoted it a while back..... ?

It's a presumption that the word of an airline pilot is worth more than the word of a train or bus driver.

It is, without any doubt, a class-based, or biased, system.

I think a pilot has to be a little more highly qualified to fly a plane than a traindriver (it's on bl00dy rails for a start, with just a stop/start button) or a bus driver...which to be fair, anyone with a driving licence, an ounce of common sense and 5 minute tuition could manage ;)

And as for th class thing well, the pilot is responsible for a whole spectrum of classes in his care, posh people in first class, us hard working people in business and the poor people in the back. The bus driver is ony responsible for a couple of single mums and the odd cleaner first thing in the morning...

Not that I'm knocking cleaners...but eastern europe is full of replacements if we need them...

So would I trust a pilot more than Sid the bus to sign a legal document proving someone's identity to travel all over the world?? Err, yes

The airline pilot may well have paid out £50k+ to get his licence - at the same time as taking at least a year off from doing any paid work. Only if he is really, really lucky will this have been paid by an employer. If any training is paid for by an employer, it's often clawed back, or the pilot is bonded to the company for some time - effectively captive and working for the lowest wage paid to any pilot in the company.

Having paid out that amount of cash, he (or she) will have absolutely no guarantee of a job, and if he fails a medical at any time could be out of the job for good.
Typically, a newly qualified pilot will hawk his CV round all the smaller carriers, "hire a plane and pilot" outfits, flying schools, etc to get "a" job. If he's really lucky, this first job will pay his living bills - a lot of them who end up in flying schools as instructors make money that a lot of plumbers and electricians wouldn't get out of bed for.

If anyone has watched "Bush Pilots" or similar programs, the guys camping while trying to get a job are in this position - trying to get their first job and a step onto the bottom rung of the ladder. And you'll also have seen that a lot of them have to go home empty handed. People may look at airline pilots (especially captains) and think that's a cushy job for a lot of money - but it can take a decade or more to work your way up there, and a lot never make it.

So yes, I think it's fair to say there's "some difference" between a bus driver and an airline pilot !

...and how does that make them more trustworthy and honest?

What if one of your pilots can't find a job flying and then drives a bus or, god forbid, a mini-cab?

If they aren't trustworthy and honest, it's not that likely that a) they'll put in the investment, or b) that they'll make it to the end of the course. But your point is valid, and could be asked of any of the professions listed - some more so than others.
Which would then lead to the question, that if you can't say that membership of one of those classes of people does make you honest, then why have any list at all ?

What if one of your pilots can't find a job flying and then drives a bus or, god forbid, a mini-cab?

Then he'll not be a Pilot, he'd be a bus driver or a mni-cab driver...

I'm qualified to fit unvented hot water cylinders...doesn;t make me a professional plumber though...I'm still an IT bod...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back