REWIRING EXTERNAL HALOGEN LIGHT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am rewiring an external halogen light to omit the PIR sensor from the circuit,as i want to be be either permanent on or off. I am little confused as to the wiring at the back. Coming out of the back of the light section are 2 white wires, coming from the PIR are a brown an blue and a white. Coming into the back of the box is a standard 3 core E,L and N.
The thing that is confusing me is how i wire direct from the 3 core to allow the light to work omitting the PIR.
any help would be great.

thank you

Kris

Sponsored Links
Is it still connected up ?

First lets see if it is a normal set up/

The incoming brown should connect to the brown of the PIR.

The incoming blue should connect to the blue of the PIR and one of the whites from the lamp.

The white from the PIR should connect to the white from the PIR. This is the switched live from the witch in the PIR )

If that was how it was connected then you need to do this.

One white from the lamp connects to the incoming blue

The other white from the lamp connects to the incoming brown instead of the white from the PIR.

The leads from the PIR need not connect to anything

Sponsored Links
Not allowed in a domestic situation.

Yes - I know it's "only guidance", but all the usual hassles of showing compliance if you ignore the guidance, and the problem of the presumption of non-compliance if you don't follow it apply.

A halogen flood without both a PIR and a photocell is so far off from the guidance that there isn't a hope in hell of it being legal.

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated,

How is it illegal? Please dont take offense i am just not aware of the law in this area, i assumed as you can buy external halogen lights without PIR's that it is legal???

Is it still connected up ?

First lets see if it is a normal set up/

The incoming brown should connect to the brown of the PIR.

The incoming blue should connect to the blue of the PIR and one of the whites from the lamp.

The white from the PIR should connect to the white from the PIR. This is the switched live from the witch in the PIR )

If that was how it was connected then you need to do this.

One white from the lamp connects to the incoming blue

The other white from the lamp connects to the incoming brown instead of the white from the PIR.

The leads from the PIR need not connect to anything

Yes you were correct and i did rewire it as you said, it now works exactly as i wanted it to, cheers

I am rewiring an external halogen light to omit the PIR sensor from the circuit,as i want to be be either permanent on or off.
Do you realise that you will be breaking the law if you do that?

Hi thanks for the reply, was just wondering how this was breaking the law? i assumed that if you can buy halogens with no PIR it would be same as those, where i can switch it on or off as i require?

thanks

I think the "spirit of the regs" is that no outdoor light should be allowed to burn during daylight hours, or when not required. This should be accomplished using either PIRs (which all have lux sensors), or photocells (both either internal or external).

Human-controlled lights DO get left on accidentally. Dont tell me you've never left a light on - especially a light that you cant see its effect from where you switch it. Companies spend thousands on systems that automatically controll all their lighting and heating now. My shop has a computer-controlled system, also linked to the intruder alarm, such that certain systems are only active when the building is occupied. And all the back areas have occupancy sensors.

So it's more than likely to be aimed at being green to avoid wasting energy (and of course save some cash) than a safety issue.

No - it's not a safety issue.

Yes - it is a "green" one.

But it has the force of law - look at Part L of the Building Regulations, look at Approved Document L1B 2010 and look at the Domestic Building Services Compliance Guide 2010, Section 12.3.

thanks everyone for the replies, i am only planning to use it for letting the dogs out to wee at night, so it wont be left on, i cant afford it!!!!! Plus i 100% agree we all need to be green and be careful about the global effect of leaving lights on.
thanks guys.
Kris

t260826.jpg

Ignoring the ridiculous legal bit, have you tried simply turning it off and on again?

Many of them will stay on if you turn on, off then on again with 10 seconds or so.

Useful for watching the dogs pee, not so useful when an electrician does a residential safety check and cycles power so you end up getting a call several days later from the tenant saying "By the way, that floodlight has been on ever since"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back