Rewiring hall lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
rewired hall lights as part of redoing the shower room, due to hall lights being fed from shower room lights. Also due to both hall lights only being on 1 way switching.

Wiring New Switch by front door

New Wiring to 2nd switch

New wiring at 2nd light

Feed to switch by front door comes from shower room fan isolator

Cables at 1st switch are:

1x T+E = Feed in

1x 3 core+E = Strapper 1 to 2nd switch

1x 3 core+E = Strapper 2 to 2nd switch

1x 3 core+E = Feeds to lights

1x 1.5mm 3 core flex = Feed to outside light

Cables at 2nd switch

1x 3 core+E = Strapper 1

1x 3 core+E = Strapper 2

Sponsored Links
Why are the grey cores sleeved black? (or is it an optical illusion and they are brown?)
It's a single phase installation and should be sleeved brown!
Have you RCD protection on the circuit?

They look dark brown on my PC screen.
I take it Matthew works commercial/industrial - there looks to be a bit of that in there and in his other topic!

Sponsored Links
Why are the grey cores sleeved black? (or is it an optical illusion and they are brown?)
It's a single phase installation and should be sleeved brown!
Have you RCD protection on the circuit?

It is Brown Sleeving.

Yes there is RCD protection on the circuit, all four lighting circuits in the house are on RCBOs

I hate them. They cost a fortune, they are far too big, they won't take flex and it's a pain to remove just one wire.

Strip connectors have worked fine for years.

I used to feel the same way about them but after watching the instruction videos on youtube i learned which connectors are suitable for diferent task.
They make special ones that take flex and solid core doesnt half save time when installing downlights.
I use them all the time now.

Have you tried those click flow junction boxes? Now they really are good for downlighters.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLCT100C.html

The wagos I really dislike are the ones like the OP has used for his earths. They're just so big!

Also there's a perfectly good earth terminal on the grid yoke, so it's not actually required at all!

Keep meaning to try the Click flow range I might try and get some samples at ELEX in Mancester next week.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back