Rewiring Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am preparing my walls and ceilings for a lighting re-wire by my electrician. I think I have asked too many questions of him already so hoping to get answers from you all.

Question - If I am rewiring the lighting are the rules that require me to remove the old wiring from the walls (it will be disconnected from the consumer unit).

Question - Even if not required, what are the reasons from a 'best practice' standpoint of removing the wire.

Thanks all,

Jon

Sponsored Links
Providing the wiring is disconnected from supply and left so they can never be re-energized, that will be satisfactory.

If the switches and sockets are staying in the same location, it might just be that the cables are best removed anyway. If not cut the cable back as far as practically possible.
You may depending on age of system have conduit in wall, which if rewiring in singles could be reused, but you will struggle to get two sets of flat grey twin and earths or three core and earths in them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back