Reworded RCD Poll

When a diyer wants to add a socket should we "go on and on" (to the same OP) about RCD Protection?

• Yes. If OP 'rejects' advice re required RCD protection, we should keep "going on and on" about it.

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • No. Just make the OP aware of the requirement for RCD protection, but don't keep repeating it

Votes: 15 51.7%

• Total voters
As it stands on my analysis of the voting at this moment (7:10 p.m. your time) ...
I'm not sure exactly how you have reached some of those conclusions, but what is apparent is that there was a very clear majority for 'Yes' in the original poll, and a clear majority for 'No' in the present one.

Kind regards, John

Sponsored Links
The way I interpret the original votes is to add the No and External only votes together to give 14
verses 18 for Yes. I consider that close.

The way I interpret the original votes is to add the No and External only votes together to give 14 verses 18 for Yes. I consider that close.
That's one way of looking at it. However, the other way of looking at it is to consider that 'External only' means 'Yes, but for external only' - in which case one might have expected people who cast that vote to have voted 'Yes' had they been given only given yes/no choice - in which case it would be 24 'Yes' v.s. 8 'No' - which is not close! So 'the truth' regarding yes/no intentions in the first poll is probably somewhere between 18/14 and 24/8! Whatever, it is clearly in the opposite direction from the current voting in this poll.

Kind Regards, John

This current poll, is asking whether we should go on and on about it, which most people say no. (there are only a few people on here which would do that) and doesn't relate closely to RCD's

Sponsored Links
If the OP rejects the advise given, there is no point wasting yours and their time going on and on about it (unless you have nothing better to do, which is why I am normally here!)
Just stop offering them advise!
I cannot vote either way, as neither option really conforms to my opinion or part p (if the topic is a domestic one that is?):whistle:

This current poll, is asking whether we should go on and on about it, which most people say no. (there are only a few people on here which would do that) and doesn't relate closely to RCD's
Indeed, and that is why I introduced this variant poll. My problem with your original one was that you asked if we should "go on and on" about RCD protection - and I felt obliged to answer 'no' to that, since I would not advocate or support "going on and on" about anything.

Had your question simply asked whether we should tell a DIYer about the requirement for RCD protection, then I would have had no hesitation in voting 'Yes'. I suppose that could theoretically be a 'third poll', but I don't think it's really necessary, since I would expect/hope that virtually everyone would vote 'Yes' if the question simply asked whether we should tell/inform an OP about the requirement for RCD protection of new sockets.

Which leads me to wonder about the reason for your original poll. I thought, seemingly wrongly, that it was the "going on and on" you were asking about. If not, did you really doubt that virtually everyone would agree that a DIYer should be made aware of the requirement for RCD protection?

Kind Regards, John

If the OP rejects the advise given, there is no point wasting yours and their time going on and on about it (unless you have nothing better to do, which is why I am normally here!). Just stop offering them advise!
Sort-of agreed - but then you go on to say ...
I cannot vote either way, as neither option really conforms to my opinion or part p (if the topic is a domestic one that is?):whistle:
Is what you've written above (which seems to be very clearly a 'No' answer to the poll question) not 'your opinion'??

Kind Regards, John

I'm not sure exactly how you have reached some of those conclusions, but what is apparent is that there was a very clear majority for 'Yes' in the original poll, and a clear majority for 'No' in the present one.
What I was getting at is that as by far the majority of people who voted "Yes" in the original poll haven't voted in this revised poll, how can we really know whether they interpreted "going on and on" about RCD protection as meaning to mention it every time the subject comes up but not labor the point, or to "go on and on" about it to one poster? (Well, except for one voter for whom I think we all know the answer!) Nobody who voted "Yes" in the original poll has voted "No" in this one, and two have come back to vote "Yes" in this one.

What I was getting at is that as by far the majority of people who voted "Yes" in the original poll haven't voted in this revised poll ...
Thet obvioulsy cannot all have voted in this poll but, for all we know, most of them might have.
Nobody who voted "Yes" in the original poll has voted "No" in this one, and two have come back to vote "Yes" in this one.
I don't really understand what makes you think you know 'who voted what' in either poll (other than the few cases where the individual has divulged their vote). AFAICS, only 6 people other than myself have participated in the discussion here, so more than half of the people who have voted in this second poll have not 'shown themselves'.

Kind Regards, John

I don't really understand what makes you think you know 'who voted what' in either poll (other than the few cases where the individual has divulged their vote).
Click on where it says "X vote(s)" on each option and you see a complete list of who voted that way.

Click on where it says "X vote(s)" on each option and you see a complete list of who voted that way.
Oh!!! If I had realised that such was the effect of clicking on the 'Display votes publicly' box, I might well have not clicked on it! I thought it was talking about making the number of votes (for each response) visible to everyone, even if they hadn't voted.

Next time I'll know. Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

Kind Regards, John

If the OP rejects the advise given, there is no point wasting yours and their time going on and on about it (unless you have nothing better to do, which is why I am normally here!). Just stop offering them advise!
Sort-of agreed - but then you go on to say ...
Is what you've written above (which seems to be very clearly a 'No' answer to the poll question) not 'your opinion'??
What I had written, to me suggest if I had nothing better to do, I would spend a little more time trying to convince the asker of the question, to perform the task using the correct, compliant and recommend method. If it then became apparent that I was wasting my time, I would give up and find something else to do, rather than be ignored/beaten by ignorance.
But every question and member asking the question would be judged on their own merit, some come around to seeing sense and concede that the task is beyond their scope as they do not have the skill or knowledge to complete the task safely, some are simply ignorant and dangerous! I do not see why that should not be pointed out to them!

Last edited:
....if I had nothing better to do, I would spend a little more time trying to convince the asker of the question, to perform the task using the correct, compliant and recommend method. If it then became apparent that I was wasting my time, I would give up and find something else to do, rather than be ignored/beaten by ignorance.
That's fair enough. I would personally say that amounts to a "No" as regards "going on and on" about it, but only you know that!

Kind Regards, John

Next time I'll know. Thanks for bringing this to my attention!
I see you've now changed it!

I would personally say that amounts to a "No" as regards "going on and on" about it, but only you know that!
And now we have the problem of separating "No" votes as to what happens next:

1. No, I won't "go on and on" about it, and having realized that the OP doesn't want to go to the extra expense of adding an RCD I'll accept that and continue to advise on the best way to add the socket(s) without it;

2. No, I won't "go on and on" about it, but if the OP isn't going to take my advice to add an RCD I'll have nothing more to do with helping him.

Same answer about "going on and on," but clearly two rather different attitudes to the topic.

I see you've now changed it!
I have - not because it matters to me, but I think that it was a bit unfair to others, since there was nothing to indicate that their vote was not 'secret'. However, I can always turn it back on if people want!
And now we have the problem of separating "No" votes as to what happens next:
1. No, I won't "go on and on" about it, and having realized that the OP doesn't want to go to the extra expense of adding an RCD I'll accept that and continue to advise on the best way to add the socket(s) without it;
2. No, I won't "go on and on" about it, but if the OP isn't going to take my advice to add an RCD I'll have nothing more to do with helping him.
We do. PBoD's view appears to be per (2). My attitude/approach would depend upon the circumstances. In this particular case (RCD protection of just one new socket), I would probably be happy to carry on giving advice about the task in general even if it was apparent that the OP was not going to RCD-protect the new socket. In other situations, in which the rejecting of advice which had been given was, IMO, 'dangerous', I would probably not want to 'encourage' the OP any further (although, as often discussed, even that can produce 'dilemmas' in the minds of most people other than BAS).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back