RF thermostat receiver turning on then off again

Does changing the temp setting make any difference & is it one of these https://usermanual.wiki/Flomasta/Flomasta4718GManual1002605.486932721 if so have you tried ringing the helpline

That's the one - I'd looked at the manual but hadn't actually spotted the number thank you! Don't tend to expect big brands to make themselves available by phone these days :) I'll give them a try.

Changing the temp doesn't help - as I say, the controller/transmitter seems to be working fine, the flame icon appears showing that it's trying to turn on the boiler, and the boiler controller/receiver responds by audibly and visibly switching over to "on" with a green light, but it immediately (within a second usually, sometimes 2 to 3 seconds later) clicks back off again. It tries again a few seconds later and then gives up until the transmitter sends the signal again (maybe 10/15m later) or the transmitter is power cycled and sends again.

Sponsored Links
What happens if you let it send the on signal, then immediately pull the battery out, if you can do that quick enough?

I'm just wondering if the remote unit might be sending the on command, then following it up quickly with an off command.

What happens if you let it send the on signal, then immediately pull the battery out, if you can do that quick enough?

I'm just wondering if the remote unit might be sending the on command, then following it up quickly with an off command.

Interesting :D Unfortunately (or fortunately) it's decided to start responding again today - if it acts up again I'll try that. I think it's unlikely I'll be able to pull it out fast enough thought, mostly it's only a second before it clicks off again.

Well, having observed that the problem was much worse (almost 100%) first thing in the morning, I developed a theory. And having tested the theory three days in a row, I have solidified a conclusion, which is that the receiver won't work if it's too cold. Which means, as you'll have realised if you're following along at home, that I have a heating system WHICH ONLY WORKS WHEN IT'S WARM :LOL: GOOD JOB FLOMASTA! (y)

(I cycled it half a dozen times, then ran a heat gun over it on a low setting for 10-15 seconds until the casing felt warm, in case you're interested)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If they fail or become unreliable then there is very little else, apart from what has already been suggested (batteries/reset/closer to receiver/etc), that can be done. If that all fails then they need to be returned/replaced.

Private moment I just wondered if there was an outcome with your problem one year later. I have exactly the same issue but worse in evenings. It sounds like the relay in the receiver is not holding across. Have tried everything I know of and I've been amongst these issues a lot been ex motor trade as there are some RF components in cars. I'm thinking flomasta helpline or new wireless thermostat but was just wondering if I'd missed something. Very intermittent problem getting worse. Flomasta 4718G, three years old. Many thanks in advance

It could be that a neighbour has the same thermostat and it is interferring with your receiver, they all come set on the same frequency so change your frequency settings settings it is very easy to do

You cannot change the frequency, what you are changing is the recognition code which the two are paired with.

With packet radio it was a case here is a massage x long have you got it, and a reply either no missed that or yes that was OK,

My favourite mode :) It was only accepted along with a check of the checksum being correct and acknowledged. All very slow and hit and miss by today's data rates, but OK if you were the only one on the channel and fine for text only. I tried to move them to adopting adapted commercial wifi, LOS, but it was too little, too late, even setting up a local access.

Yes old post, however my problem spanned quite a time, this IMGP7319_20_21_tonemapped.jpg seemed the ideal wireless thermostat, would have preferred hard wired like this ae235.jpg but the people who fitted my mothers central heating fitted this 84067_P.jpg thermostat, and cut off all the wires, the thermostat they fitted was expensive, and it had a fail safe, if the base did not get a signal every ½ hour it auto shut down, but is also had anti-hysteresis software which caused it to start cycling as target temperature was approached, which is last thing you want with a modulating gas boiler. This ae235.jpg in my own house replaced a Horstmann DT2 upload_2021-11-26_11-36-58.png nearly the same size, but DT2 only 4 program times the replacement had 6 but the old DT2 simple press up button for warmer, down for cooler, the replacement had to keep instructions with it.

The IMGP7319_20_21_tonemapped.jpg got slowly worse over time, the first time it failed that I found out about it failed to turn off, mothers living room at 32°C not what is wanted for 90 year old, ended up facing the base in the kitchen, with the 84067_P.jpg wired in parallel so if one failed the other worked, and electronic TRV heads IMGP8035.jpg to ensure it did not over shoot, and also allowed me to monitor at home temperature of mothers house.

This is in answer to @Radar58 he really should have started new thread, and linked to this one, but can see the point as it may flag up the old starter of thread.

Main reason for IMGP8035.jpg was didn't want to get another thermostat which would also fail, but actually still got caught out, they were claimed to work with Nest, so new house had 4 TRV's from mothers old house, so seemed good idea to get Nest Gen 3 which they were designed to work with, but seems Google has bought out Nest and removed support, seems new idea is to have remote temperature sensors upload_2021-11-26_11-56-42.png but not released in UK, and not sure if USA version would work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back