RG59 cables and connections ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Am installing a second hand 2MP AHD from a friend, but need some RG59 cable, probably Shotgun as that seems to be cheaper than buying a separate .75mm power cable.

Seem there are varying qualities, some say with Solid Copper Conductor, (the best ?) others with copper clad Alum or Steel, plus the screen could be plain Alum or copper coated .

The max distance for our cables would be 20 mtrs, so wondered which is the best one to buy? ..though we may upgrade the 5MP in the future ?

Also need a 5A power brick, though there are many around, know that some can be poor quality, any suggestion as to a supplier of good ones.

As we are only doing about 8 bnc connectors anything wrong with these screw on or solder types vs the crimp ones ?

thanks

000098.jpg
000099.jpg

Sponsored Links
Have to make a confession here, I love the twist on bnc rather than crimps when I do analogue, but then again I don't really do any.

if the end is cut correctly and its twisted on hard found it ever so reliable, you know when you haven't done it proper as a gently tug and it falls apart a good hard tug when its done right it doesn't move at all.

I use good cable from my local distributor and it doesn't cost the earth.

Not a fan of Cat5e/Cat6 and baluns, getting good baluns right for the tech used seems to be an issue for me.
Then again I am talking of an interference no one else could see until I pointed it out to them. so not sure if I was being fussy to be fair.

tend to do IP only.

As above really, genuine copper cable, twist on BNCs will do for a one-off job like this and a decent boxed power supply from Haydon will be miles better than a power brick.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all, as said its a free s/h system from a friend whos upgraded his system.

Often thought about getting some cameras , so this give us a chance to try before we buy anything expensive.
Only need a short coverage distance, not into or needing ANPR !:D

@scott1980 did not know of those Haydon type of psu boxes, actually have one of those 'skeleton' psu somewhere, so could soon pop it in a box with some PTCs.

Hi again,

Spent the part of the day setting up the s/hand dvr and just one camera , on a short bit of old cable up against a window! but yes it works well, But only during daylight ! these old cameras, 720p I think, do not have IR.

So, while we could see cctv is a system that could work for us, it made us think about is it really worthwhile to continue to re-cable and install this old s/h system and later spend more money upgrading it to better resolution and IR ?

Like @secureiam mentioned, now think an IP system might be the way to go, certainly seems easier to wire up with POE.

Have been looking around and seems there are some decent(?) Hilook 2MP IR POE cameras and a couple of Hilook NVRs.

Though similarly priced, looking at their datasheets its hard for us to tell what the key differences are that may matter to us, apart from one having the newer space saving H265.
Tried to compare them on Hikvisions site but the ANP white box one does not show ??

Know they are bottom rung NVRs, and we only need it for short range intruder type of recording, but would appreciate any guidance as to which would be the better one to buy or any better alternative at a simlar price ?

Datasheets of them below -

Attachments

• ANP0xB-P.pdf
    567 KB · Views: 113
  • NVR-104-8MH-DxP.pdf
    362.5 KB · Views: 116

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back