CCTV Cable

C

cabot

i'm in the same process of replacing an outdated system and would welcome any suggestions as to cabling in 3 cameras with 20 m runs.I have looked at various options including pre made leads but am a bit concerned about trying to pull a bnc connector thru 2 walls in case of any damage to the connections.I am working on the theory of making up my own leads from an RG59 shotgun 100m drum and attatching my own bnc and 2.1 dc power connections.The bnc adapter seem to be easy enough either by crimping/ screwing them on but connecting the dc wires seem to elude me.....how exactly are they done.I have access to soldering equip and so on but which wires go where? What other options can anyone recommend?

Sponsored Links
2.1mm DC power connectors typically have two solder connections one for the center pin and one for the sleeve. It is generally fairly obvious which is which from looking at the plug but if not just test it with your meter.

Usually the center is positive and the outer is ground but check the manual for the specific device to be sure.

I'm not sure how big RG59 is, you may have to join it to something smaller before it will fit in the connector.

You might want to look for shotgun cable with a coax on one side and something more suitable for use in a DC plug on the other.

welcome any suggestions as to cabling in 3 cameras ................... a bit concerned about trying to pull a bnc connector thru 2 walls in case of any damage to the connections.

if you have ready made leads you have 2 choices

drill a bigger hole to acomodate the bnc goingh through and make good afterwards.

cut the pre made leads off from one end and pull all the slack through the hole leaving the ready made bnc "outside" and reconnect the cable you cut off which was pre made.

I have done both with no problems, but you must be careful when rejoining a pre made lead the joint should be as small as possible.

some will say you should not do it, but for a cheap cctv kit...........

welcome any suggestions as to cabling in 3 cameras ................... a bit concerned about trying to pull a bnc connector thru 2 walls in case of any damage to the connections.

if you have ready made leads you have 2 choices

drill a bigger hole to acomodate the bnc goingh through and make good afterwards.

cut the pre made leads off from one end and pull all the slack through the hole leaving the ready made bnc "outside" and reconnect the cable you cut off which was pre made.

I have done both with no problems, but you must be careful when rejoining a pre made lead the joint should be as small as possible.

some will say you should not do it, but for a cheap cctv kit...........
Surely easier to make a standard lead up rather than pay over the odds for a pre made then cutting it up. Never good to put a rough jion in a cable.

Sponsored Links
yes, but some "cctv kits" come with the lead made up for you. so unless you can drill a bigger hole for the bnc ................

You might want to look for shotgun cable with a coax on one side and something more suitable for use in a DC plug on the other.

That pretty standard stuff ;)

Default.aspx

http://www.isec-solutions.co.uk/P/RG59-Shotgun-CCTV-Cable(204).htm

http://www.alarmworld.co.uk/cctv/cable/cat_18.html?sort_by=name&sort_order=high

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back