Ricochet wireless PIR(s) not working correctly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I learnt all the devices and everything worked, I did a movement test with the PIRs in the rooms but not attached to the walls and they all triggered the alarm, then I put one PIR up on the wall and it was dead. It would not detect any movement (or rather heat!) even if I waved right next to it. It replaced a wired PIR in its place which worked fine.

I have tried relearning the PIR but again nothing happens. As soon as I remove the lid of the PIRs the alarm goes into tamper so I know the PIRs are physically connected.

Any ideas what is up? I wonder if I have accidentally touched the lens when I was screwing the board back into the base plate or is there something else I am doing wrong?

I have installed several wired PIRs in the past without any issues.

EDIT just realised I put this in the wrong section, I am shattered!. Just asked a mod to move it.

Sponsored Links
As an experiment I took an old wired PIR I knew was working, I then touched the sensor to put finger prints all over it and also put a bit of pressure on it for good measure. I then hooked it up to a 12v DC supply and it still worked perfectly (or at least still still worked as a detector) so I am sure it is not because I have accidentally touched the sensor on the new one. The other two PIRs working perfectly although they are not on the wall yet. There is a couple of seconds delay to trigger the alarm but I suspect that is because of the extra wireless processing involved it probably needs to receive the signal a few times from the PIR to ensure it is not a false alarm.

Is it simply looking like I have a dud unit?

They go to sleep ! If not your batteries would be dead in a week , What mode are they in ? Eg hybrid, did you try setting the alarm then walk in the room ?

Yep sorry I should have said when I set the alarm, one of the PIRs doesn't work, only about 10% of the time I can get it to trigger the alarm. The other PIRs seem to work fine although just a little bit slow to react compared to the wired ones. I also deleted the faulty PIR from the system and re-learnt it but it didn't make any difference.

Sponsored Links
allow for the sleep, also did you do the commissioning mode to establish the mesh?

I could be wrong but the pir that is a 10% do you walk past it a lot say the hallway where your keypad is and the others are further away? ie hardly any traffic?

Ricochet monitor can be useful here as can ricochet, diagnostics in engineer utilities to see the status of the device.

its not a good idea to poke the lenses.

In the unlikely event you think its faulty, swap the PIR with another that appears to be working does it follow location or follow the detector?

All working perfectly now, it turns out I wasn't leaving the system long enough to wake up, did a walk in test and the PIRs function perfectly.

Just got to wire up a Pyronix internal sounder/speaker now :) and then attach the bell box.

Texecom support have been brilliant with a couple of programming issues I've had.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back