Ride on Mower / Garden Tractor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need a little help: I am not green-fingered and am looking to get a ride-on mower for my garden. The cut lawn area is a fairly regular rectangle of approx 30m wide x 75m long (0.55 acre).

What should I be looking for?
What re the pros/cons of mulching?
Any recommended makes/models? (or any to avoid?)
Any other pointers?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Quite like the look of the Husqvarna TC130, Husqvarna TC138 or the Alko T16-92

Any thoughts?

The Husqvarna is an excellent machine, hydrostatic drive and a Briggs engine - a good combination indeed.
Mulching is fine so long as you don't let the grass get too long - you'll clog the cutting deck if this happens.
Grass collection is the one to go for so long as you have somewhere to dump the clippings!
There are cheaper machines of course, for example Mountfield now use their own Chinese sourced engine rather than the Briggs or Honda engines they used in the past.
As ever, you get what you pay for but Husqvarna have an excellent spares back up.
John :)

Thanks.

Any thoughts on the merits of the the Husqvarna TC130 versus TC138?

They look pretty similar. But of extra power for a bit of extra cash?

Full specs comparison: http://www.husqvarna.com/uk/products/garden-tractors/compare/

Husqvarna.JPG

Sponsored Links
Personally I'd go for the more powerful machine, especially if you might have to leave the grass long from time to time. I'd prefer the powder coated deck and I'm wondering what treatment the standard deck has. Whether the blades are engaged manually or electrically doesn't matter to me. Husqvarna make quality products and I'd buy with confidence.
John :)

go for the biggest machine with the widest deck that you can afford, whether you need a dedicated mower or lawn tractor really depends on what else you might want to do. Though to be honest half an acre isn't that big an area
As Burnerman says, mulching depends on a couple of things, such as how often you want to mow and how fine a finish you want. Having the ability to mulch every now and again can benefit the lawn long term.
You won't go far wrong with any of the Husqvarna or Kubota machines and there is a good market for decent second hand machines

Thank you both. I have decided to go for the larger Husqvarna. Now just need to track one down (stock appears to be short)...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back