Ridge tiles advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
My understanding of BS5534:2014 is that ALL ridge tiles on anything other than certain historic buildings must have mechanical fixings. I have spoken to three roofers recently: one says it's not true; another says that it's not necessary if I have capped (collared) tiles because they are so heavy; and the third hadn't heard of the update to BS5534 that specified it.

For some years I've had the unnerving experience of pieces of decayed mortar sliding down the roof from the ridge and crashing into the garden below. I now want to fix the problem. I'm in a fairly windy location and I would like the capped (collared) clay tiles for extra protection and because there is no exposed mortar. However, I really want them to be fixed firmly in place by more than just the mortar beneath them. Why are the manufacturers still turning out these tiles without fixing holes? Without the screw holes, how can they be mechanically fixed?

Can anyone advise please? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I think you will find the clay capped ridge from marley have fixing holes.

I couldn't see any holes in the Marley angled clay capped ridge tiles so I asked the manufacturers. They say that we must drill holes in them ourselves if we want to mechanically fix them to comply with BS5534. It would be so much simpler if they supplied them ready to use with the holes already in place...

Ok well maybe I was mistaken! All the Clay Capped ridge tiles I have bought from UK Slate over the last few years have certainly got fixing holes.

I was at the builders yard this morning and I saw these! 20210206_104411.jpg

When I was in Germany, I noticed that most of the ridge tiles were tapered, so that one fits into the next. On the skinny end there is often a hole for a screw at the top, and sometimes there is also a clip attached that comes out from under the big end. These would have a dry fit type seal underneath I suppose.
TaperedRidgeTiles.jpg

Whereas these would have been cemented and screwed down.
OldTIles.jpg

I have not seen tapered ridge tiles here, they all seem to be straight, which leaves a joint between each one that depends on cement, whereas these ones mostly don't leak even when the cement is missing.

Yep seen those . There is a metal clip system too for them .
All the capped ridge tiles up this way have holes in now. I haven't seen a clipping
system yet for those type of ridge tiles, do you have a link or a name?

I think I have a few , I'll get one and photo.
. They are not common even around here but certainly used they before in special circumstances .pretty simple

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back