Updated standards for tile and slated roofs - BS5534

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know if its been mentioned here previously, but the standards for pitched roofing was updated earlier this year.

This has been done partly as a result of crap workmanship and claims against the NHBC warranty, but the cited reason is to guard against more extreme weather events, and harmonisation with Euro standards

The key changes are

Tiles
All tiles have to be mechanically fixed - either a clip or a nail. Tiles at the perimeter must have at least two fixings.

Mortar bedding
All ridges and hips must be mechanically fixed - even if bedded with mortar. Or use a dry-fixed system.

Underlays
New standards for roofing underlay, and batten spacing. Membranes must not be able to push tiles up, or flap about.

Battens
19mm battens no longer permitted

This blog seems to sum things up, but check out the sites of tile suppliers for more information.
www.roofinglines.co.uk/blog/?s=changes-to-bs5534
Also www.labc.co.uk/news/new-code-practice-spells-changes-roofers

TBH, all of the above are problems caused by poor quality work and unskilled workers. But the industry has persuaded the standards writers to create a market for more products. I see more problems with modern roofs than roofs 50+ years old.

Sponsored Links
One of my suppliers is a roofing firm and their surveyor keeps me up to speed.
Their boys are TWICE nailing EVERY tile.
It is now virtually impossible to remove a broken tile.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back