Ridge tiles, water ingress in bathroom (image heavy)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have had some issues with damp suddently appearing, and wondering if it's an issue with the ridge tiles, penetrating damp through brickwork, or something else. This damp patch along the top of the bathroom wall appeared just before Xmas. The position corresponds to the ridge of the 'outrigger' in the second picture.

PXL_20231223_152738377.jpg
PXL_20240103_120600479~2.jpg

I went up into the loft and noted a damp beam at the far end, the beam on which they are sitting also looks a bit darker at that end - access was a bit difficult so I didn't go any further. The mortar is crumbly and there are salts, as if dampness has been a recurring problem. There was loose sand in the putlog holes (blue arrow) which felt a bit damp, the beam next to the wall was also damp.

PXL_20240104_121058633 mup.jpg

Some pictures from outside. I realise the valley, and slipped tiles needs sorting as well!
roof1.png
roof2.png

Screenshot_20240114-143819.png
Screenshot_20240114-144022.png

As that wall is the most exposed part of the house, I wondered whether penetrating damp from the continuous wind driven rain we have had might have been the problem. You can see the wall is wet in the image below. There is a sheen on the wall above the heated rooms, but particularly in the bathroom section. I had the wall repointed last year so the pointing is in good condition. They used lime mortar which I know is 'breathable' but perhaps it has become saturated due to the weather? That said, as I mentioned above, there are signs that there has been an issue here for some time.

side crop.png

What would your order of priorities be in addressing this? Is the main issue the ridge tiles or could it be windlashed rain and penetrating damp? My thoughts are 1. get the ridge tiles resets and the slipping tiles at the end sorted, and then 2. apply StormDry or similar to try and reduce the potential for penetrating damp.

Attachments

• side crop.png
    side crop.png
    230.2 KB · Views: 26
Sponsored Links
I can't see any water marks on the loft wall, which is unusual for a ridge leak.

But I notice the ceiling appears to be uninsulated, which will make it intensely cold. So as well as losing many £££££ of heat, it will be prone to condensation.

Is there any water in the room beneath? Such as a bathroom, kettle, or wet washing on the radiators? Does it have an effective extractor fan?

The room is a bathroom, so does get humid, but I make a point of fully opening the windows after a shower, I don't often dry clothing indoors (and when I do I use a dehumidifier). It's a drafty room, there's a vent which the wind blows through. I have never seen water marks in the past; I noticed these on the 22nd of December, the day after storm Pia.

But yes I need to roll some insulation into that gap.

Sponsored Links
1000016688.png

Old street view image from before I had the wall repointed, the problem area is darker, grubby looking.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back