Right click disabled on websites

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First off, I am not a web-designer. I have done relatively basic HTML and Java when producing some intranet sites in a former role, but I wouldn't know where to start if you asked me to make a gobsmackingly-brilliant website. However, I am a pretty efficient surfer I think, and like many of you navigate through several sites simultaneously.

When I am surfing the web, I find it useful to right click links and go for "open in new window"... sometimes I use SHIFT plus left click. And sometimes you want to link to a picture here so right click is useful then for bringing up the "Image properties" which includes the URL of the image.

So why is it that there are people out there who are intelligent enough to make a sort-of working website but don't realise that I could just use the "View Source" option in Internet Explorer to determine where I can link to the picture from here, or download the files they are hosting and so forth?

Because when I do that, I end up seeing the terrible cut-and-shut html code they have "written", gazing in awe at their terrible web-design.

Then I wonder if they had spent more time learning HTML and not pasting in code that says "Copyright Gimpy Rubbish Website 2006" everytime someone has the sheer audacity to press the right mouse button, if they had just spent that time refining their own website... would it not be a better world. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
yes...........good night Adam. Turn off the light when you're done. ;)

When right click doesn't work, I try Ctrl-C for just copying it. Usually works!

Post some example sites please.

mlb3c said:
yes...........good night Adam. Turn off the light when you're done. ;)

But as I explained before, The Adam Collective is 7 in number. If I turn off the light then Adam's 1, 2, 4, 5, 6 and 7 won't be able to see. :p

Adam can't do that to Adam.

God I'm bored. Night all! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
notb665 said:
When right click doesn't work, I try Ctrl-C for just copying it. Usually works!

Post some example sites please.

The one I linked to in the "Gary M's satellite dish reception" thread... hence my sudden annoyance of the principle of doing this!

I've always hated it, but it's always been a silent hatred of this practice of blocking the right click.

As it's NotB I should mention that I've noticed a lot of guitar tab sites do it, Harmony Central seems fine though.

Im so arse -holed I want to9 give it time of day .. but ...

AdamW
I love you but noyhat much ..... night .. ;)

This is probably 'cos most web designers thesedays are graphic artists and wouldn't know HTML etc etc, if it smacked them in the face. Ironically I've been a web services bod for some time now, Java J2EE, websphere, XML etc etc, and I couldn't design a webpage for love nor money either. What us hairy backsided chaps do is design "engineering" pages that contain all the relevant information plonked any old how on the page, after we've got the back end stuff to do it's work, then all the tarty front end stuff is farmed out to a graphic design shop. My attempts at webpages look like the aftermath of a large pizza and 10 pints of stella.

AdamW said:
So why is it that there are people out there who are intelligent enough to make a sort-of working website but don't realise that I could just use the "View Source" option in Internet Explorer to determine where I can link to the picture from here, or download the files they are hosting and so forth?
Annoys me too.

Sometimes I'll get an image that way, and email it to the webmaster, and ask him what the point is...

Sponsored Links
Back