Right To Light in Scotland

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon! I'm currently objecting to a proposed extension by my next-door neighbour on the grounds that his plans will block out the majority of the light into my living room and I've found this which may assist my objection:

http://www.planning-applications.co.uk/righttolight.htm

I see that this says for England and Wales but does anyone know if it is relevant in Scotland or is there is a corresponding law or directive? Many thanks, David

Sponsored Links
hey, you lot wanted your own government and your own rules, so learn to deal with it... ;)

seriously though, try looking up the scotish laws about it, you've got your own set up there..

unfortunatly it means nothing in your case
you need to ask your local planning authority what is applicable although there will be some simmilarity with "english law " whether closly or loosly who knows :rolleyes:

There is no "right to light" in [English] planning law. The two issues are separate, however a proposed building reducing light may affect the "amenity" or use of an existing building in which case it will become a relevant consideration for the planners

Sponsored Links
you can get a structure modified eg. reduced in height . Just this happened @ my last house . The Previous owner caused the neighbour to build a 1 storey extension, Then I let him go to 2 storeys :!: because I had no problem with the window that was shielded -I would rather his house matched mine . And I sold a small strip of land to the other neighbour so his gable moved 6 feet nearer BUT then didn`t overlook me ( had 4 windows removed. ) Bet you all wish I was your neighbour :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back