Right To Refuse Payment?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was wondering if we have a right to refuse to pay a company who said our boiler was beyond repair even though a second company has fixed the problem with a £43 solenoid?

Sponsored Links
What were there T&Cs?
Callouts are still a very grey area (door stop selling regs etc).

Personally I would not pay them, they are dishonest and incompetent.
All they can do is issue you with a demand through MCOL (small claims) but when you give your explaination (backed up by the simple repair info) I can see how they could possibly win.
Adverse social media might persuade them.

What are they charging?

As Gasguru says, it's a bit of a grey area but I agree that if it went to court they'd be unlikely to win. You contracted them to repair your boiler, which they failed to do despite a simple and cheap repair being available. They have therefore not fulfilled their side of the contract in my opinion, so you doubt need to fulfil yours

Ask why they were unable to diagnose and repair when the other company managed to, and to then justify their fee for basically telling you a new boiler was needed.

Sponsored Links
Write to them & explain why you are not paying, that way you will probably avoid it ever getting to court. Ignoring them will only make things difficult.

Lots of companies have it in their T&Cs that if a part is not available from their specified suppliers then they deem it non repairable, doubt you will get much grief f as already said, be a pain in their aris and they will cancel the charge

In this day and age of online parts that's an unreasonable clause and I'm quiet sure a MCOL panel would agree.
Can you imagine a garage coming up with that nonsense and getting away with it.

If you went into a restaurant, ordered a meal from their menu and they were unable to cook you that meal, would you still pay them? Neither would I, so politely tell the first firm that apart from the fact that not only didn't they do what you asked them to do, they gave you a totally wrong diagnosis. Tell them another firm got it right so you paid them. Send them a copy of the invoice and tell them you will not not be paying.

I was wondering if we have a right to refuse to pay a company who said our boiler was beyond repair even though a second company has fixed the problem with a £43 solenoid?
Lol...British Gas do it all the time.Worst culprits for that trick.Sorry Dan,,,you beat me to it!.

Lol...British Gas do it all the time.Worst culprits for that trick.Sorry Dan,,,you beat me to it!.

BG might say they cannot get parts and suggest a replacement boiler but if they don’t/can’t fix it, you don’t pay. Cannot see the problem with that.

BG might say they cannot get parts and suggest a replacement boiler but if they don’t/can’t fix it, you don’t pay. Cannot see the problem with that.

No, but you get an arse tingly expensive quote for a crap boiler and a load of unnecessary extras all branded under the name that many still associate with "Gas Board". That's looking after your world. Crack on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back