Right tools for the job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought a new chrome bath waste to replace the current waste on my bath. I have tried to unscrew the old waste but do not seem to be able to remove it. As I turn the nut under the bath the plug hole simply turns with it. Jarring something into the plug hole has no effect.

Can you suggest the best way to remove the old waste without putting a hole in the bath.

Sponsored Links
Must be an old waste if you have a nut underneath as the new ones have a bolt in the waste centre which you unscrew to remove waste fitting.
I would try a junior hacksaw and saw the nut off but this will be painstaking. :(
Give us an update on how you get on but do check for a bolt through the centre

New good quality ones have a nut underneath.

It IS a question of having the right tool - I have several different ones all designed to hold the waste grid still. Some of them are hopeless though! A piece of meatl pipe with bits filed/cut away to leave two pegs works OK - copper is too thin though - maybe a 22mm male bit from a compression fitting would do as a start. Everybody seems to use these tools from above but its often easier from below.

You will no doubt have goo of some sort on the thread - if so you can cut the threded part off next to the nut to minimise the grief, before or after you get the nut moving. To do that you'll be better off if you HEAT the metal. You can use a blowlamp but obviously if the bath's plastic - be very careful.

Not sure what classes as old - reckon its been in there at least 8 years. No sign of a bolt through the middle.

the underneath of the waste did have what looked like a foam sealant around it - chipped this away from around the edge but it is probably that holding the waste together so tightly.

I think i will try and avoid the blowlamp ( wife may object to melting the bath) and go for the junior hacksaw - might take a bit of elbow grease but I'm at end of my tether so might as well go for it.

Thanks for advice guys.[/img]

Sponsored Links
You could try a 'dremal' type rotary tool. Mine was £20 from B & Q.
The diamond disc is about 0.75 mm thick 20 mm diam. ideal for cutting slots.
Of course the tool you really need is a nut splitter, only problem is that I've never seen one that size.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I had to do one of these. The nut was made of a tough plastic, I used a hacksaw to cut through the nut itself, at a slight diagonal. Then was able to prise it off.

A padsaw (hacksaw blade in a straight handle) would have done a better job of it.

sounds like the same stuff adamw.... will be going for it this weekend. will report success / failure on Monday...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back