Rights as a client to sack contractor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Wanted to ask the forum about my rights as a client to sack an electrical contractor. In our view the contractor have not done a satisfactory job.

The contractor visited our house to quote for the works. They explained that they charge by the hour and confirmed their rate and the duration of the job. ie. 3 to 4 hours work.

They were due to send us a email quote. This quote was sent to the wrong email address, which they've confirmed. I spoke to them on the phone to confirm the booking without seeing the quote. They asked for a 50% deposit. This figure was much larger amount of money than the original quoter had said we would pay however I agreed to pay this (stupidly I know) on the basic that the final amount would be a lot less given that they were charging by the hour, plus a small amount for parts.

The works have been carried out and require additional work to put right to fix some faults the left.

They're happy to fix the faults but they're also threatening legal action if we don't honour their original quote (minus 10% as a good will gesture on their part).

I've now seen the original quote and it includes works that were discussed during the original consultation but we completed ourselves, they're also claiming extra for another contractor to be on site and the figure for parts is based on materials they did not provide, tho it's not itemised so they could be charging a very inflated price for 15 metres of cable, clips and a junction box.

They're claiming that given we agreed to pay 50%, over the phone, there's a contract between us and that we're required to pay the remaining 50% (minus 10%).

What are our rights in this situation? We don't want them back on site. Or are we obliged to allow them to correct the work?

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Any bit of this you did not understand?

yesterday riveralt wrote:
Contact NICEIC and advise them of your problems with this contractor - they offer guarantee service.

I've spoken with NICEIC. They don't get involved in the financial side of the dispute at all.

Anything in writing or was it all over the phone?

Sponsored Links
Got the quote, that includes 1 job they did not do but is still added to the price, a final invoice with figures that are incorrect, less than the original quote and a series of emails from them, with some half truths and threats of legal action if we don't pay the full original quote.

So it is now cheaper?

And yes your obliged to allow them to have the first option for remedial works.
Go elsewhere and you cannot claim anything back.

So it is now cheaper?

And yes your obliged to allow them to have the first option for remedial works.
Go elsewhere and you cannot claim anything back.

I dont think they're very competent, the guy that wrote the invoice put down the wrong deposit amount but overall its around 40 quid cheaper.

They're insisting we pay them fully before the remedial works will start.

" They're claiming that given we agreed to pay 50%, over the phone, there's a contract between us and that we're required to pay the remaining 50% "

Is this true or are they talking crap?

Thanks again

So although they were aware that we wanted to proceed with the work on a fixed hourly rate (told them when the deposit was taken and again during a phone call the next day) the law is on their side and we are liable for the original quote amount?

You can argue the costs, but you paid a deposit agreeing to them to work. Again on the phone. Plus an email???

They have the right to do any remedial and if their terms are what they say they want the monies paid. Then they will finish off.

We are just repeating things now.

You can argue the costs, but you paid a deposit agreeing to them to work. Again on the phone. Plus an email???

Since the invoice they left us has errors we're going to request another invoice that details all the works we agreed from the beginning and breaks down the part expenses. Some work they're trying to charge us for we completed and they're also trying to remove some work that we asked them to do that they haven't.

They have the right to do any remedial and if their terms are what they say they want the monies paid. Then they will finish off.

They don't have the right to change the terms of payment. Following your advice would mean we would be giving up our consumer rights. From Citizens Advice:

Only pay the final amount when the work has been completed to your reasonable satisfaction

I said their terms you agreed to.
Slightly different.

You can find that on the link provided somewhere too.

Their terms consist of a couple of sentences on the bottom of the quote about how they're not responsible for decoration. Nothing about having to pay up in full before snags are completed.

What link are you talking about?

Your not liking the answers are you.

And it certainly will not be sorted on a web site.

Na it's not your answers that bother me it's more to do with the fact that I didn't check the f**king quote before agreeing to the work, but what's done is done.

Sponsored Links
Back