RING DOORBELL PRO - can I use a plug? or need transformer?

20 Dec 2013
Reaction score
United Kingdom
i have no existing doorbell....i want to get the pro cos its hardwired and my consumer unit it close to door.

but how easy is it to connect it all up? does anybody have any experience?

electricians are charging £200+!
the doorbell cost £140!! :D

so i want to see how easy it is.....

from what i understand the transformer goes in the consumer unit.....
and then i have to somehow join it to the bell.....

i cant find a video on YouTube showing setup without any doorbell in place...

also has anybody got any experience with the plug?

it would suggest no transformer or anything else is needed!!


but apparently they get very hot so would rather hard wire if its not so complicated.....
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Perhaps someone with specific knowledge of the product will come along later, but from what I can see online, if this is the product:


The instructions appear to be American, and do all seem to concentrate on replacing an existing doorbell, so the transformer will not go in the consumer unit in the UK, but can be placed next to it, or anywhere you want.

Then you will need normal mains 240V cable from the CU to the small transformer - you could run it off a lighting MCB - and then suitable two-core cable to the large transformer/chimes and then on to the doorbell.

The plug-in device in your original link will not be needed.
Sponsored Links
yup instructions are garbage

from what i understand in UK we do need to put the transformer into the consumer unit. need 2 spare slots

the plug option was just an alternative solution as im capable of plugging something in myself :D:D
Best to install that in a separate 2-way mini DIN rail box. Power it then from wherever is convenient.
cool thanks

Does anybody have experience of actually fitting the doorbell itself and can share??

theres a pro power kit included too....i just want to get an idea of how to actually install it from transformer in fuse box to bell outdoors....
I thought he had space in the CU!

There are many wall-mounted transformers available. You don’t need a DIN rail one and then have to buy a separate box!
I thought he had space in the CU!

If one could be certain the OP would employ a competant electrician to work in the consumer unit then fitting the transformer in the CU is an option.

BUT when the transformer is fitted in the CU there is no provision to isolate the transformer without switching OFF one of the MCBs ( the one feeding the transformer ) which would mean some circuits ( lights ) would also be OFF. ( If there were three spare slots then an MCB dedicated to the transformer could be fitted.

There also the consideration that as the transformer is not a part supplied or approved by the CU manufacturer then the type approval of the CU could be compromised. This could complicate / prevent an insurance claim for damages due to an electrical fault.
Last edited:
If one could be certain the OP would employ a competant electrician to work in the consumer unti then fitting the transformer in the CU is an option.
There is no requirement to say that only a competent electrician can carry out work in a consumer unit.
He can do it himself, if he takes adequate precautions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links